RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:X
2012 George Matsumoto Prize Announces North Carolina’s Best In Modernist Design
The prize is named after George Matsumoto, one of the founding professors at the school, where he served from 1948 to 1961. According to Triangle Modernist Houses, the non-profit organization hosting the awards program: “the Triangle area of North Carolina has the third largest concentration of Modernist houses in America, more than anywhere else except Los Angeles and Chicago.”
The competition features $6,000 in cash awards. Three winners are chosen by a blue-ribbon jury of architects; three winners are also chosen by a popular “People’s Choice” vote.
This year’s Matsumoto juried winners were:
- 1st place: John Reese, Banbury House, Raleigh, N.C.
- 2nd place: Mike Rantilla, 1804 Pictou Road, Raleigh, N.C.
- 3rd place: Vinny Petrarca, the GREENville House, Greenville, N.C.
People’s Choice prizes went to:
- 1st place: Adam Sebastian, The Hole One House, Clemmons, N.C.
- 2nd place: Scott Ogden, The Althea Way House, Wilmington, N.C.
- 3rd place: Will Alphin, The Taylor House, Raleigh, N.C.
Browse by Keyword