Pearl Brewing Company was originally founded in 1883 in San Antonio and this brewery was built in 1973, but in 1985, the company was bought out by Pabst Brewing Company. They shut the brewery down in 1991 and began contracting out their beers to other breweries, abandoning this riverfront brewing facility. With a prime location, developers bought the site and decided to turn it into a destination with offices, retail and restaurants. Lake|Flato handled the master plan and the design of the main building, which is now the Full Goods Warehouse. The 67,000-square-foot LEED Gold Full Goods Warehouse features two floors of office and retail spaces connected by a series of catwalks. The rest of the project includes 350 residential units, restaurants, retail, a boutique hotel a farmer’s market, outdoor venue space and now a campus for the Culinary Institute of America.
The adaptive reuse of the brewery included the reuse of a lot of the existing materials and diverted 83 percent of construction materials from the landfill. The landscaping in the project is 100-percent native and drought-tolerant, which works to absorb stormwater, minimize runoff into the river and reduce heat island effect. All rainwater is captured and coupled with recycled water for irrigation use. Shading and outdoor spaces feature prominently, while a 200.6 kW solar array, the largest roof-mounted photovoltaic array in Texas, generates over a quarter of the building’s energy.
The Pearl Brewery/Full Goods Warehouse was on of the Top Ten Green Projects of 2013 by AIA/COTE.
Images ©Casey Dunn, Lara Swimmer and Lake|Flato