Enter the Ghost Town Challenge Architecture Competition — $10,000 PrizeNovember 10th, 2013
Homemade Dessert is excited to invite you to participate in our latest architecture vision competition “Ghost Town Challenge” on Karosta, a former soviet military town about 10 km North from Liepaja city centre, Latvia.
Karosta translates as War Port (or Navy Harbor). It is used to be a closed secret military town for the Russian Empire, and later for the Soviet military. As Latvia regained its independence in 1990, the Soviet military had to leave Karosta. As a result the population dropped dramatically from 25,000 to 6,000, leaving many abandoned buildings behind which have fallen into a state of partial or complete disrepair.
Homemade Dessert in collaboration with Liepaja City Council and a number of local artists has created a design brief on Karosta’s revitalization. Before exploring the brief in depth we would suggest you to familiarize yourself with this unique urban context. There are number of impressive historic monuments as St. Nicholas Ortodox Marine Cathedral in the central part of Karosta, the Horse Arena or Manege and Karosta Prison. Specific and unique poetic value can also be found in brutalist architecture “soviet style” apartment buildings.
The brief will more closely examine development of Karosta’s urban core by planting a building complex that will be the main attraction of the town and would help to bring back the life to this part of Liepaja city. You are asked to present your architectural vision for a multi-purpose cultural centre that would include museum, library, and conference centre with possible entertainment as retail zones and a restaurant.
This competition is the first competition in the competition series on Liepaja city. This international architecture vision competition is open to everyone. Teams must have no more than 4 people, no professional qualification is required.
More information in informative material package.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE:November 10th, 2013
SUBMISSION DEADLINE:December 1st, 2013
Video introduction - https://vimeo.com/67714411
+ INDULIS KALNS - Liepaja city head architect
+ JURIS GRESTE - Urban designer, recipient of the of the Built Environment exemplar award in Australia
Rest of the jury to be confirmed.
- Enter the Mobile Architecture for Strategic Healing Competition and help alleviate the Ebola crisis
- Reinterpret ceramic floor tiles in the RESTILE competition for a chance at $12,000 in cash prizes!
- Enter your design prototypes to the ICFF Studio competition—Win a spot at ICFF and major media exposure
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before