The 3D Rapid Prototype Competition offers an opportunity to students who excel at 3D design to learn more about the intricacies of what goes on in the design industry and to have their work fabricated. The winners of the competition will get the chance to work hand-in-hand with industry professionals in creating a brand name for themselves, all while getting paid. They will engage clients demanding a spectrum of thematic designs and get exposed to the real world pressures of business and design management. Students can submit their designs into any of three categories: interiors, body, or art. Students must register by February 28th, 2013 in order to participate.
REGISTRATION DEADLINE:February 28th, 2013
SUBMISSION DEADLINE:March 31st, 2013
The top three designs will be given a contract to do design work for Additive Expressions LLC. The top submissions will have their designs presented at an event (location to be determined). Winners will be selected at the ceremony. Furthermore, participants will obtain an offer to obtain monetary compensation for their designs branded under their name. Additive Expressions LLC will provide the necessary funding for fabrication, distribution channels, and work alongside the winners to sell their ideas through their business processes.
Entrants must submit their proposal by May 31, 2013 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Each submission must include the following:
+ One presentation board in PDF format. Each presentation board must be 24” x 36” in portrait format and may include any information necessary to graphically illustrate the concept. Each board must include the registration number in the lower right hand corner in Arial 12pt font. If selected, the presentation will need to be printed out for display at the final event for the competition.
+ Statement of Design Intent in PDF format not to exceed (700) words.
+ Statement should include a preliminary estimate of fabrication cost, total estimated print time, materials and methods used for finishing, texturing, and final cost of product.
+ Contact Information in PDF format. Include team members’ names, email, and telephone number.
Please refer below to get an idea of required categories. The dimension requirement for printing is a 12 inch cube. Remember, properly scaling the design to its functional use or presentation will be considered by the judging pool.
Interiors: Can include but are not limited to ideas such as:
Body: Can include but are not limited to ideas such as:
Art: Can include but are not limited to ideas such as:
There will be three primary criteria judged on a scale of 0-10. The combination of the scores will determine the relative ranking of each participant. The evaluation criteria will include:
+ Feasibility & Ease of Creation
+ Market Potential
Final submissions will be judged by a panel of jurors consisting of industry professionals, representatives from the University of Houston College of Architecture, and members of Additive Expressions LLC.
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before