- Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -
DIY Father’s Day Gift: How to Make Recycled Plastic Bag Placemats for Your Dad
Posted By Yuka Yoneda On June 8, 2012 @ 12:20 pm In DIY,Features,Recycled Materials | No Comments
If your dad is the chef of your family, show him how much you appreciate his meals by making him a set of cool and quirky recycled plastic bag placemats for Father’s Day . We got this DIY  gift idea from crafting guru Tiffany Threadgould, and we think it’s an easy and clever way to use up old plastic bags you might have lying around in your house. Read on for the full DIY or watch Tiffany’s video tutorial here .
- 3 plastic bags
- a ruler
- a pen
- a pair of scissors
- 2 sheets of kraft paper
- an iron
1. Measure and cut ¼ inch off the bottom of each plastic bag.
2. Turn the bags inside out and stack them on top of each other. Place the stack of bags on one large piece of wax or parchment paper and cover the stack with another large piece of wax or parchment paper. Place this entire stack on the
3. Set your iron to medium heat (the rayon or polyester setting). Do a test: iron one corner of your stack of bags to make sure they don’t burn. If they do, turn the iron down. Once you have the correct setting, slowly run the iron over the top of
your paper, always keeping the iron moving. Run the iron over the bags several times, but never touch the hot iron directly to the plastic. This technique fuses the plastic bags together so they become a solid piece of plastic. Turn off your iron
and set it aside.
4. Take the fused plastic bags out from the layers of wax or parchment paper.
Using a ruler, mark and cut out a rectangle on the fused plastic that is 17 inches x 11 inches. Wipe off any marker you can still see. Round the corners with your scissors. Make as many placemats as you’d like. Then, serve up these ReMade
placemats at your next meal.
For more awesome DIY ideas from Tiffany Threadgould, visit her site here .
Article printed from Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com
URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/diy-fathers-day-gift-how-to-make-recycled-plastic-bag-placemats-for-your-dad/
URLs in this post:
 Father’s Day: http://inhabitat.com/diy-fathers-day-gift-make-your-dad-a-new-clock-out-of-an-old-record/
 DIY: http://inhabitat.com/diy/
 here: http://youtu.be/zmZC0x-ksqA
 here: http://www.replayground.com/pages/about/abouhome.asp
Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.