- Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -
DIY: How To Make a Beautiful Holiday Wreath in 5 Easy Steps
Posted By Lea Stewart On December 16, 2013 @ 1:00 pm In Decorative Objects,DIY,Eco Textiles,Features,Green Holidays,Recycled Materials | 1 Comment
- Fabric shears. These will cut through fabric more easily than standard scissors.
- A collection of small pieces of fabric swatches. We used table cloths, placemats, pillow cases and remnant fabrics found in the far depths of our closet, or at my local thrift store. I chose to use plaids, stripes, and other patterned fabric with dominant reds and greens.
- An 18″ diameter wire wreath frame  with four circular hoops. We found one for less than $3 at a local craft store.
- Bits and bobs from used or broken holiday decorations. We had collected some bows, bells, and faux berry branches attached to gifts in years past that worked perfectly.
First, cut your fabric into roughly 1″x6″ strips and organize into piles by pattern. You don’t have to worry about being very accurate with the sizing. You may not need to cut all of the fabric you have collected, but make sure that you have several hundred strips to start with.
Tie the strips with simple knots around the wired frame, alternating colors and patterns.
Bunch the knotted strips close together and continue around the wire frame.
Once you have filled the entire frame with knotted fabric, select a decoration you like use as an accent for your wreath. We attached few round bells and bows with a needle and thread. You could also use hot glue or thin wire to attach your accents.
Display your wreath on the wall by slipping a section of the frame’s wire right over a standard wall picture hanger.
Article printed from Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com
URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/diy-how-to-make-a-beautiful-holiday-wreath-in-5-easy-steps/
URLs in this post:
 upcycled fabric: http://inhabitat.com/sustainable-style-recycling-and-upcycling-collections/
 evergreen: http://inhabitat.com/a-different-christmas-tree/
 : http://inhabitat.com/diy-how-to-make-a-beautiful-holiday-wreath-in-5-easy-steps/wreath-instructions/?extend=1
 wire wreath frame: http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?CATID=cat393851&PRODID=zprd_03182482a
Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.