PHOTOS: Ohio State University’s Solar Decathlon enCORE House Does More with Less in a 900 Sq Foot Space

by , 09/29/11

2011 solar decathlon, Architecture, “energy efficiency”, “solar energy”, “sustainable architecture”, Eco Architecture, eco building, eco design, enCORE, encore house, energy efficient, green architecture, Green Building, green design, Ohio State, ohio state solar decathlon, ohio state university, osu, Recycled Materials, renewable energy, self sufficiency, self-sufficient, self-sustaining, Solar Decathlon, Solar Power, sustainable design, Sustainable Materials, united states solar decathlon house

In addition to the impressive solar array, the house also uses both passive and active strategies like stack ventilation and a heat pump water heater to lower its energy and resource usage even further. The house has low-U value windows that are placed strategically amidst the prefab polycarbonate wall system in order to draw sunlight into the home, cutting down on the need for artificial lighting – something that will save a family living in the enCORE home more money even after they purchase it. The enCORE‘s roof is also sloped to collect rainwater, which can then be used to water plants or for plumbing.

Think the enCORE house deserves to win? Give it your vote here!

+ Ohio State University enCORE House

+ Inhabitat’s Coverage of the 2011 Solar Decathlon

Related Posts


or your inhabitat account below


  1. Diane Pham September 29, 2011 at 2:45 pm

    love the simple form of the structure. great job!

  2. Jasmin Malik Chua September 29, 2011 at 2:44 pm


  3. lazyreader September 29, 2011 at 2:14 pm

    3.7 to 3.1 that seems rather irrelevant. Yes the size of the average home has increased since then still, the rationale is the people that buy them. Which tend to be families with children to raise. And the idea that they’ll abandon them when the children grow up is nonsense, the idea that the baby boomers now retiring or soon to are now empty nesters that will fail to sail they’re suburban homes and move into condos is just ridiculous. Most of that data is conjectured from planning professors from the University of Utah that published these statements. The article claims the United States will have 22 million “surplus” single-family homes by 2025 because so many Americans will prefer to live in multifamily housing after they’ve retired or their kids grow up. A recent survey of baby boomers tossed this theory out the window. Articles written by Time and Atlantic monthly described suburbs are going to turn into the next generation slums. But the survey found that 65 percent of baby boomers plan to stay in their current homes. Of the remaining 35 percent, only 4 percent say they want to move to a downtown condominium and just 3 percent say they want to live in a suburban condo. By comparison, 14 percent say they hope to move to a resort community which is largely single family homes. The suburbs are not dying, but planners are doing their best to kill them. Suburbs aren’t bad but their are some badly designed suburbs so they justify the argument that all suburbs are bad. Even though the size of the average home in America has grown by an additional 1000+ square feet since the 1940’s but not all of it is necessarily outward growth. Another thing is that more suburban homes have been renovated; converting the otherwise grimy basements, attics and cellars to additional spaces such as rec rooms and downstairs bars, playrooms and Man-Caves or additional bedrooms that owners may rent out. Markets easily can adapt to build smaller homes with sufficient space to suit peoples needs. “Build” magazine sponsored along with industry partners to build their annual house of the future. Referred to as the “Home for the new Economy” it’s only 1,740 sq ft in size (not even a basement I don’t think if it had one that’s an additional 800+ square feet). It’s an impressive home aesthetically and in terms of performance and build quality and markets will adapt to construct homes such as that.

  • Read Inhabitat

  • Search Categories

  • Recent Posts

  • Recent Comments

  • Browse by Keyword

get the free Inhabitat newsletter

Submit this form
popular today
all time
most commented
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
Federated Media Publishing - Home