UK-based Flanagan Lawrence Architects renovated a Grade II listed building in London dating from 1923 and transformed it into a four-star, 320-room hotel with conference facilities, café, restaurant, bar, retail spaces and a roof-top spa. Originally constructed as a cinema and designed by Frank Verity, the building has also been used as a bingo hall until it closed in 2001. It was resurrected by Flanagan Lawrence Architects in 2009.
The Shepherds Bush Pavilion was heavily damaged during World War II, poorly repaired and converted into a Bingo Hall in 1983. In closed until 2009, when Flanagan Lawrence Architects were granted permission to convert the building into a beautiful four-star hotel. The design concept was inspired by the building’s history. In order to achieve a higher degree of efficiency, the architects introduced energy-efficient services, including low energy lighting, heat recovery systems and a gas fired CHP system which can be connected to a future heating and cooling network.
The architects decided to keep the original award-winning brick facade and recreate the original roof using modern materials. The rear facade mirrors the front facade, but is more contemporary. Its interior features curved foyer and atrium spaces that have an Art Deco look, with internally illuminated spandrel panels that minimize sound reverberation. The ceiling in the atrium is covered in brass strips converging into concentric circles at the center of the space.