The Museo del Bicentenario blends history and modern technology in an elegant and conscientious way, deep under Buenos Aires’ Pink Governmental House. Its 54,000 square foot galleries stretch in and out of a bright and wide patio area and a beautifully-restored building.
The museum is settled within the city’s former fort structure, once used from 1580 until 1855 when it was then transformed into the site for Taylor Customs welcoming people and goods in from the Old World. From 1957 on, the structure served as the Governmental Pink House Museum, and now the building is the newly restored Museo del Bicentenario.
Designed by a group of engineers, architects, restoration specialists and the Federal Planning and Public Investment Ministry, many original features like old wooden beams that come out from the pink stone walls reminds visitors and the museum staff the importance of working with long-lasting sustainable materials, which at the same time, touch on the romance of the historic site.