Gallery: GREEN YOUR APPLIANCES! Washers and Dryers


We’ve enjoyed covering the surging interest in eco-fashion at Inhabitat – particularly new designers experimenting with bio-based materials and organic sources, produced with green and socially conscious methods. But the next time you covet the latest NaturevsFuture corn-based dress or Linda Loudermilk bamboo and silk trousers, consider this: the majority of a garment’s ecological impact occurs during the washing phase. So with that in mind, this week’s installment of our Green Your Appliances series focuses on your washer and dryer.

Read the rest of this entry »


or your inhabitat account below


  1. wwwSEOWritersNet May 9, 2009 at 8:14 pm

    I just bought one actually. It is essentially just a jug with a screw on top and an on/off drain hole at the bottom. The manufacturer tried to make a bottom piece in which you can set the plastic drum or jug so you can use a crank to turn it back and forth at a rate of about once per second, to rock the water back and forth and through your clothing fibers, cleaning them like a normal washing machine. But I think it is easier to just hold the jug and shake it back and forth for about 2-3 minutes, drain, and repeat. It is enough for 2 days of laundry and I do it while I shower. Then, you can just pancake the clothes on one another and press out the excess water. That is better than wringing them out, which causes wrinkles when done too much.

    How about stationary exercise bike, but the wheels are the jugs, and when you ride, they turn. And you can peddle forward or backwards. :-)

  2. FlatGreg August 22, 2007 at 10:52 am

    While I agree that cleaning clothes is energy intensive, to say that the energy cost in producing a t-shirt doesn’t come close to the energy cost in keeping it clean is a bit misleading. If cleaning a tshirt accounts for 60% of its energy requirements during its lifetime, then that means the remaining 40% was from manufacture, transportation, etc. 60% vs 40%? I’d say that’s fairly close.

  3. turtlebella August 22, 2007 at 10:29 am

    We have an LG condensor – combo washer/dryer. And we love it! Well, I should say, my husband loves it as he’s the one that does all our laundry. He shows it off to everyone who visits us. And it has a bunch of customizable programs, hand wash, wash it 8 hours from now, just wah, don’t dry, just dry, delicates, normal (which weighs or something the amount of laundry in there to determine the amount of water). And because it’s ventless we have it upstairs in our bathroom. I can’t really understand why these haven’t taken off more in this country. Granted houses here are bigger and so we don’t need to save space, generally speaking. But– our washer and dryer used to be in the basement, as I know a lot of people’s are. Who’d rather do laundry NOT in the basement, show of hands, please? And I can’t think why these wouldn’t be placed in apartments in NYC and other large cities with lots of apartments. Beats the heck out of communal laundry rooms and laundromats! Add the energy-efficiency and lower environmental impact and it seems like win-win for everyone.

  4. Design for MySpace August 22, 2007 at 10:15 am

    I really appreciate the concept of human powered washing machines. They’re are quite innovative at the broader level. Jennifer is a real design big daddy

  5. minxlj August 22, 2007 at 6:30 am

    I saw the Cyclean on a UK TV programme last night – what a genius idea! I hope there will be some method of storing the power though, because I often like to have the washing done while I’m busy doing something else, but I love the idea of my gym workout being combined into generating power for something!

get the free Inhabitat newsletter

Submit this form
popular today
all time
most commented
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
more popular stories >
Federated Media Publishing - Home