In a suburb of Sydney, Australia, a former church that has undergone several transformations has recently been renovated and converted into a restaurant. Originally, the Methodist church was built in 1908, and it was then converted into a library in the 1970s. The latest renovation of the church resulted from a collaboration between owner Mario Kalpou and design studio Hecker Guthrie, who helped transform it into a restaurant called The Old Library in honor of its past.
The designers took the original structure of the building and re-imagined the interior. They kept the exposed beams and timber lining, but incorporated oak, linen, white timber and steel to create a touch of contemporary style.
Despite the cavernous space of the building, Hecker Guthrie encourages a sense of intimacy in the restaurant. They developed a series of rooms and partitions to form modern spaces within the building. They even included a quirky homage to the old pace, with an illustrative mural of a bookcase adorning the walls.
Images courtesy of Shannon McGrath