The Packer-Scott building was originally built in 1892, and has long been a landmark in Portland. In order to reflect the mission of Mercy Corps, THA restored and reused 75% the original structure. A new building was also erected to supplement the reclaimed space and its tiled, red exterior mimics the brick of the older portion.
In addition to the reuse of existing building, the new headquarters has many sustainable features that have scored it a LEED Platinum rating. 95% of the construction waste was also recycled and 35% of the space’s energy supply comes from green power. Potable water used for irrigation was reduced by 50% and potable water used for flush and flow fixtures was reduced by 75%. There are also PV integrated glass sunscreens that shade the southern-exposed glass and 30% of energy usage was reduced through efficiency.