RECOMMENDED FOR YOU:X
How To: Create Unique Fabric Prints with Veggies
Here’s What You’ll Need:
- Potato, yam, sweet potato, jicama, or other firm, starchy veggies
- Paring knife and X-acto knife
- 100% cotton fabric
- Acrylic Paint and Acrylic Fabric Medium (which thins the acrylic paints and makes them flow more smoothly for printing or painting on fabric). You can buy acrylic paints at any art supply or craft store.
- Paintbrushes and/or foam paint roller
- Paper plates or other container for mixing paints
Follow These 5 Steps:
1.) Prepare your work surface. Lay out a blanket on a table top—this will provide a soft surface under the fabric which will allow for easier printing. Cover the blanket with a layer of recycled newspapers to protect the blanket from paint.
2.) Cut a potato (or yam) in half, and sketch a design with a marker. Use a paring knife or X-acto knife to cut away the white space of your design, creating a stamp.
3.) Mix a small amount of your desired color of acrylic paint with an equal amount of fabric medium, and paint a scant amount (or use a small foam paint roller) on the vegetable stamp. Try a test print on the newspaper first.
Browse by Keyword