Step One: Gather the materials
Gather the materials you’ll need to create your recycled bird feeder. We used:
- A recycled clean plastic peanut-butter jar with a screw-on lid (any size will do)
- Lid from a large plastic yogurt container
- Dremel (you can also use a small electric drill or make do with a Swiss Army Knife, nail, or utility knife)
- Washer or nut
- Sturdy string or twine
- Gorilla Glue or similar strong glue
- Stick (you could use a bamboo skewer or even a long pencil).
Step Two: Drill Holes for the String
Drill a small hole in the middle of the yogurt lid, the jar and the jar lid. The hole needs only be big enough to fit the string.
Step Three: Cut Feeding Holes
Next, make holes for the birds to feed through. Sketch out 3-4 holes with a marker before you begin cutting – make each hole slightly bigger than a half-dollar. Carefully cut out the holes with a utility knife and discard the plastic pieces you cut out.