Jill Fehrenbacher

Inhabitat Acquired by LA Media Company Internet Brands

by , 09/11/11
filed under: Announcements

Inhabitat Gets Acquired By Internet Brands, Inhabitat Acquisition

Six and a half years ago, as a broke architecture grad student, I launched the blog Inhabitat.com late one night from my college studio as a vehicle through which to explore my passions: green building, clean technology and sustainable design innovation. At the time that I launched Inhabitat, I noticed a glaring lack of discussion around green design and social responsibility in architecture school, in the professional design community and in wider mainstream media as well, and I needed some inspiration and people to talk to about my interests! I wanted to ignite a conversation around what “good design” really means, and connect with like-minded souls who were as passionate about these topics as I was.

Approaching seven years on, I’m proud to say that Inhabitat has grown to become one of the most-widely read design blogs on the internet, with hundreds of thousands of readers each day and millions of readers each month. I’m beyond happy that our initially tiny conversation has grown to reach and inspire so many people around the world — and I think the issues that we touch on are so fundamental to our society’s future that I feel personally compelled to work hard to grow our audience further so that we can bring our conversation to as many people as possible.

On this note, I am happy to announce today that Inhabitat is becoming part of Internet Brands, an LA-based media company that is a master of managing and growing niche websites like ours. With hundreds of talented employees and 85 million total readers every month, Internet Brands will be able to help professionalize our business and take Inhabitat to the next level in terms of technology, advertising, and most importantly, our editorial content. We’ll be joining the Home section of Internet Brands which features great crafty and DIY websites like DoItYourself.com and Craftster.org. I like to think that we bring a nice dose of green and design into the mix, and I am looking forward to working with the talented team over at Internet Brands to expand our website and our content to a wider audience.

Inhabitat Editorial Team in action, BKLYN Designs, Inhabitat editorial team at BKLYN DesignsThe Inhabitat editorial team in action

What does this mean for our content, you ask?

I will be staying on as manager and editor-in-chief of Inhabitat, and our entire editorial team will be staying on with me as well, so the only changes you can expect to see to our website are long-overdue improvements in our design, user-experience and page-load time (it’s about time, right?). We’re not planning any changes to the focus of our editorial — and with more resources, we’ll be able to produce more content, better content, and build out community features which will allow for greater participation of readers in the conversation. Which is a long-winded way of saying that Inhabitat is only going to get better!

What is going to happen to Inhabitots and Ecouterre?

Inhabitots and Ecouterre (our parenting and fashion websites, for those of you who are not familiar) are making the move over to Internet Brands as well – we want to keep the family together and think these two sites will benefit as much, if not more, from the business professionalism and scale that Internet Brands brings.

I’m very excited for what this deal means for Inhabitat, and hope you are too!
Any questions? Fire away! I’ll try to answer any and all in the comments below…

1. jennielyon September 15, 2011 at 7:04 am

Congratulations Jill. This is fantastic!

2. lennyesq September 12, 2011 at 12:07 pm

Congratulations on cashing in after your years of hard work. I shall miss the “homey”, one-person-writes-it-all” feel of the content.

I am pleased for your success and hope you will be happy. In fact, I hope you are the exception to the rule that sites which get acquired by mainstream marketing company lose their “look & feel” and the original players soon move on to “pursue other interests”.

I doubt that the new owners will have much interest in container architecture or disaster home design–not big sellers.

Good Luck!

3. Charlotte K. September 8, 2011 at 4:02 pm

Congratulations! Following you ….

4. Jorge Chapa Jorge Chapa September 7, 2011 at 8:08 pm

wow! congratulations everyone! Feel proud to having contributed to the blog, oh so many years ago :)

5. Susan Spedalle September 7, 2011 at 7:58 pm

Jill, Natasha and I are so proud of you, your success and your contribution to the important discussion you started, and continue. You rock!

6. hazel saunderson September 7, 2011 at 5:34 pm

This is fantastic news, Congrats Jill

7. LinF September 7, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I’m glad to see content and staff are not changing. This site has been one of my favorites for years and I can easily say was one of the main sources of my interest in environmental design as a future career. And I don’t think I would be looking at the same colleges or majors without it so thank you so much to the whole team.

8. Andrew Michler Andrew Michler September 7, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Really interested in seeing how the site changes in look and getting more readership involvement.

9. Mike Chino Mike Chino September 7, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Thanks to all of our readers and our fantastic team! It’s been an incredible journey so far and we’re looking forward to what the future brings.

10. Dan Mendes Dan Mendes September 7, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Congrats, and here’s to continued success

11. Bridgette Meinhold Bridgette Meinhold September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I see big things coming from this.

12. jkgreen September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Congrats! Looking forward to the amazing things to come!

13. Yuka Yoneda Yuka Yoneda September 7, 2011 at 1:46 pm

Congratulations Jill!

14. xsimpletunx September 7, 2011 at 12:56 pm

Congrats! It’s always nice to hear about some responsible content making it a bit more mainstream. That being said, I do hope that maybe this move helps to improve the quality of the site. I am used to editorial mistakes in the ubiquitous side blog but the fact that I see editorial mistakes and lack of sufficient editorial review on Inhabitat almost daily is troubling. I don’t say this to be rude but to give you a little constructive push to step up your game a bit and perhaps this move to a bigger league will provide better time and resources to do so. Good luck.