Over the years, American pregnancy and birth experiences have slowly become more and more medical in nature. It's tough to have the natural birth you may be craving in a society overly obsessed with c-sections, epidurals and other procedures. On top of that, our society tends to focus on the baby's arrival first not the mama-to-be, who should indeed be celebrated. Thankfully, there's a brand new and utterly gorgeous pregnancy journal - Sacred Pregnancy: A Loving Guide and Journal for Expectant Moms - that celebrates everything that's naturally amazing about pregnancy and birth. Better yet, this journal celebrates you, the mama-to-be and your unique journey through the pregnancy and birth experience.
About the Author
Sacred Pregnancy is written by Anni Daulter; mama of four, creative cook, author and eco-advocate. Daulter has charmed us with her family-friendly cookbooks such as Organically Raised: Conscious Cooking for Babies & Toddlers, Ice Pop Joy and The Organic Family Cookbook, and at first her leap from food to pregnancy is surprising, but trust us, it works out beautifully. Sacred Pregnancy is a pregnancy journal unlike any other. In fact, it’s so wonderful, that the legendary Ina May Gaskin wrote the forward – awesomeness in itself. Overall, this journal is a combination of amazingly lovely (and soothing) photos, tips and advice, and plenty of journal space for pregnant woman to record their thoughts and feelings, making this book a valuable resource and a must-have for every mama-to-be.
How the Journal is Arranged
Sacred Pregnancy is divided into 40 weeks worth of chapters along with resources, birth stories and more at the end of the journal. Each journal chapter is broken into sections, including:
- Your Body: Discusses how your body is changing at this stage of the game.
- Your Baby: Offers an update about how your little one is developing.
- Your Spirit: Looks at emotions you may be feeling, from happiness to excitement to fear and more.
- Topic of the week: This area looks at the chapter focus more in-depth. For example, the Due Date chapter discusses how due dates aren’t set in stone and how this may make you anxious.
- Ideas: Suggestions about what you should be doing to prepare now, along with ideas about what you can expect in future weeks and more.
- Book, Movie and Food Paring: Great resources you’ll need (or will love) at this point in your pregnancy.
- Journal Prompt + Pages to Write on: Each journal prompt is focused around the chapter’s theme, such as what you were feeling when you found out you were pregnant, how you see your “Inner glow,” and so forth.
The various weeks of Sacred Pregnancy correspond with topics of interest to mothers at 1 week, 2 weeks, 3 weeks and so on, all the way to the home stretch. Each week a stunning and useful new topic is explored. Some examples of topics covered throughout the 40 weeks include the following…
- Birth Art Expression
- Mindful Eating
- Sexy Mama
- Naming Ceremony
- Rite of Passage
A Book of Beauty
Beyond the content in this journal, all of which offers you the guidance and support you need to better create the pregnancy and birth experience you want. this book is gorgeous. Each and every image in this journal is so beautiful and 100% frame-worthy, rare for a pregnancy journal. You’ll feel inspired each time you open it up, leaving you better able to express your thoughts and feelings.
Not Just for Mamas
Sacred Pregnancy, while specifically for mamas-to-be, also manages to consider the whole family. For example, the journal invites you to examine how your pregnancy has affected (or if it’s affected) your relationship with your partner. The journal dives into the issue of dates, massages, sex and other quality time with your partner. Communication and accepting your partners ideas about your baby, along with ideas about how to encourage your partner to be a good parent are included as well.
If you’re pregnant, this is a must-have journal. If you have a friend who is expecting, this would make a wonderful early pregnancy gift as well.
Sample images from Sacred Pregnancy: A Loving Guide and Journal for Expectant Moms by Anni Daulter, published by North Atlantic Books, copyright © 2012 by Anni Daulter. Reprinted by permission of publisher.