NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Open to legal residents of the 50 U.S. States, D.C., Puerto Rico, and Canada, 18 years or older.
The following are the official rules for the Lighten Up! An LED Lighting Design Competition (the “Competition”):
1. Sponsors: The Competition is sponsored by Elemental LED (the “Sponsor”) through Inhabitat.com (the “Website”), a publication of Internet Brands, 909 N Sepulveda Blvd, El Segundo, CA 90245.
2. Eligibility: Any individual who enters the Competition must be at least the age of legal majority in the jurisdiction where they reside. The Competition is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws and regulations, and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Sponsor and of the Website, and their respective officers and directors, its parent, affiliated and subsidiary companies, advertising and promotional agencies, and their immediate families (spouse, parent, sibling, child, and spouse of any of the foregoing) and those living in their immediate households, whether or not related, are not eligible to enter the Competition or to win the prize.
3. Entry Period: The entry period for the Competition begins at 9 a.m. EDT on Monday, March 11th, 2013 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on Monday, April 15th, 2013 (“Entry Period”). Entries received before or after the Entry Period will not be considered unless an early entry is re-submitted during the Entry Period.
4. Competition Details: Competition entrants will submit images showing where LED lighting has been employed in the design of a commercial or residential space. Each design must be an original work, must use LEDs, and photos cannot include any copyrighted elements (no logos, slogans, or art in use). Only LED lighting designs will be considered. Entrants may submit more than one entry per category. Submissions will be judged by members of the Inhabitat editorial staff, representatives of Inhabitat, and special guest judges selected by Sponsor and Website.
6. Ownership Rights in Submissions; Originality; License to Sponsor and Website: You must have all ownership rights in and to your design and text. By submitting an entry you represent and warrant that any design elements, text and images contained therein are your original work and that no other person or entity, including any third party designer, has any ownership interest in the design or is entitled to any payment for the use of the design, image or text. Sponsor and Website reserve the right to void and/or disqualify any submission if found in Sponsor’s and Website’s sole discretion to be inconsistent with these representations and warranties, plagiarized, copied, or fraudulent; to infringe upon existing rights of others; or to be incomplete, damaged, obscene, vulgar, offensive or otherwise unsuitable. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless the Sponsor and Website from and against all claims or damages arising out of the use of any design or other materials you submit. By submitting an entry, you grant to Sponsor, and it’s respective successors and assigns an unlimited, worldwide, perpetual license to publish, display, use, exploit, edit text, adapt, modify, copy, disseminate, post, or dispose of the design, text and other submitted materials online, in print, film, television, or in any other media for editorial, advertising, promotional, product and product design, and other purposes without compensation or notification of any kind to you, except as prohibited by law.
7. Winner Selection: Fifteen finalists in each category will be selected by a panel made up of members of the Inhabitat editorial staff, representatives of Inhabitat, and special guest judges selected by Sponsor and Website. This will be followed by a period of online voting in which one winner will be chosen for the category of ‘Residential Lighting’, and the other winner for the category of ‘Commercial Lighting’, by popular vote. The decisions in selecting the winners and in all matters relating to the Competition are final and binding. The two winning entries [and the identities of the winners] will be announced on Inhabitat.com and Inhabitat.com/lighten-up-LED-design-competition, and the winner will be notified by email and phone, by Friday, May 17th, 2013.
8. Prize: Two Winners will receive $1000 in gift vouchers to spend towards Elemental LED products. If a Winner chooses not to accept the prize, an alternate Winner will be chosen.
ALL EXPENSES, TAXES & COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH RECEIPT OR USE OF ALL PRIZES ARE SOLELY THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE WINNER. NO PRIZE SUBSTITUTION PERMITTED BY WINNER UNLESS OTHERWISE INDICATED.
In compliance with Internal Revenue Service regulations, Sponsor will send a Form 1099-MISC to any winner receiving a prize valued in excess of $600 (USD), which requires disclosure to Sponsor of winner’s social security number. Winner remains solely responsible for paying all federal and other taxes in accordance with the laws that apply in winner’s state of residence.
9. Right to Use Name, Likeness, and Other Identifying Information: By submitting an entry, each entrant grants to Sponsor, Website, and their respective successors and assigns the right, except where prohibited by law, to use the entrant’s name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, entry materials, and written or oral statements, for editorial, advertising and promotional purposes, without compensation, unless required by law. Entrants shall have no right of approval, no claim to compensation, and no claim (including, without limitation, claims based on invasion of privacy, defamation, or right of publicity) arising out of any use, blurring, alteration, or use in composite form of their name, likeness, city and state, biographical information, or entry. The rights granted under this paragraph are without compensation or notification to the entrant of any kind, except as required by law, and shall extend to all entries and all other submitted materials related to the Competition, including those submitted by non-winners and winners.
11. General Conditions: By participating in the Competition, entrants agree to abide by the terms of these Official Rules and by the decisions of the Sponsor, Website, and the judges, which will be final and binding on all matters pertaining to this Competition. Sponsor, Website, and their respective officers, directors, employees, agents, successors and assigns (collectively, the “Released Parties”) shall have no responsibility for any injury, losses, or damages of any kind resulting from participation in this Competition or acceptance and use of the prize. If for any reason the Competition is not capable of running as planned, including infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorized intervention, fraud, technical failures, or any other causes beyond the control of Sponsor and Website, which corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, integrity, or proper conduct of this Competition, Sponsor and Website reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, and to cancel, terminate, modify, or suspend the Competition, and/or to judge entries from among all eligible, nonsuspect entries received prior to such action. Released Parties assume no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, entries. Released Parties are not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers, or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any e-mail or entry to be received by Internet Brands on account of technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or at any Web site, or any combination thereof, including any injury or damage to participant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading any materials in this Competition. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS A VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSORS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
12. Privacy: By entering this Competition, entrants agree and consent that any information provided upon entering may be used by Sponsor and Website in accordance with their respective Privacy Policies located at http://www.elementalled.com/privacy-policy and http://www.inhabitat.com/privacy. Moreover, Sponsor and Website reserve the right to contact competition entrants. If you do not want your information used in this manner, do not enter this Competition.
13. Termination: Sponsor and Website reserve the right, in its sole discretion, to modify, suspend or terminate the Competition for any reason whatsoever including but not limited to viruses, bugs or other causes beyond the control of the Sponsor and Website which may corrupt the administration or security of the Competition. In such event, the prize will be awarded by random drawing from among eligible entries received up to the date/time of corruption of modification, to the extent feasible. Sponsor or Website is not responsible for late, lost, incomplete, or misdirected entries; computer system, equipment or program malfunctions, or other errors; failures or delays in computer transmissions or network connections; damage to entrant’s or any other person’s computer related to or resulting from participation; or for any other technical problems related to web site entries. Sponsor or Website is not responsible for incorrect or inaccurate entry information, whether caused by Internet users or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Competition, or by any technical or human error which may occur in the processing of the entries in the Competition. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT BY A PARTICIPANT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE COMPETITION IS IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR AND WEBSITE RESERVE THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM ANY SUCH OFFENDER TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.