DIY: Make this iconic Chrysler Building Halloween costume
Celebrate the spirit of New York City and crown yourself as a DIY rock star by making this kick-ass Chrysler Building costume! If you’ve got foil, cardboard, felt, hot glue and a silver dress, you’re ready to rock the Art Deco jewel of the city. Read on for the step-by-step instructions.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
-Large cardboard box
-Roll of foil
-Black felt or paint
-Pencil, scissors or blade
STEP 1: CUT YOUR CARDBOARD
First, take a strip of cardboard and measure it around your head to make the lower crown of your hat. Cut it in an arc and hot glue firmly so the lower level crown rests sturdily on your head. Using a pencil, trace four arches for each level of the Chrysler tower, gradually making each of the (four) levels smaller by about one-third. Glue each to themselves to make squares. For the point, cut the cardboard into triangles, and glue into a point.
STEP 2: FOIL
Take each of your pieces and cover with foil. Be sure to use the shiny side of the foil. Use glue sparingly to keep the foil in place.
STEP 3: MAKE YOUR WINDOWS
Choose either black paint or felt, and cut enough triangles to make the windows on each level. Arrange them in an arc and glue (or paint). Wait until thoroughly dry.
STEP 4: ASSEMBLE
Each level should fit snugly inside the next, use hot glue to secure into place. To attach the tower to the crown, you may need to add some cardboard braces to make the tower stand upright. Simply stack and glue sections of cardboard and glue them inside of the crown in the front, back and sides. Now place the tower inside and secure with glue.
STEP 5: WEAR IT!
Put on your silver dress (or suit!) and Chrysler Building hat, then hit the town and show it who’s boss!
All images ©Lori Zimmer for Inhabitat
- HOW TO: Make a Teeny Tiny Edible High Line Centerpiece for Thanksgiving
- DIY VIDEO: Model Summer Rayne Oakes Shows You How to Make a Mason Jar Herb Garden for Your Kitchen Wall
- The Chrysler Building Earns LEED-EB Gold Certification!
- The Best Green Designs from the NYU ITP 2011 Spring Student Show
- DIY: How to Turn a Boring Tote Bag into a Double Wine Bottle Carrier
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Governor announces a $10 billion overhaul for a more green, accessible and tech-enhanced JFK airport
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >