Note: The Ooho is made using sodium alginate and calcium chloride using a formula developed by the designers. Our recipe is an approximation that replaces calcium chloride with calcium lactate, resulting in a membrane that is less tough.
YOU WILL NEED:
– 1 g of sodium alginate (a natural substance derived from brown seaweed)
– 5 g of food-grade calcium lactate (a type of salt that can be found commonly in cheese and gum)
– A bowl filled with 1 cup of drinking water
– Another bowl filled with 4 cups of water
– Another bowl filled with water for rinsing off the “bottles”
– An immersion blender (you could also use a regular blender)
– A deep spoon like a measuring spoon
Add 1 g of sodium alginate to 1 cup of water. Then use an immersion blender to dissolve the sodium alginate. Once you’re confident that it’s dissolved, set the mixture aside to get rid of any air bubbles that may have formed during blending.
Add 5 g of calcium lactate to 4 cups of water and mix well using a spoon.