Solar One & Green Edge NYC Solar Powered Film Series Week 2Solar One, 24-20 FDR Drive Service Road East, New York, NY 10010
START: 7:00 PM August 25, 2011
END: 11:00 PM August 27, 2011
Green Edge NYC and Solar One have teamed up for the fourth year in a row to bring New Yorkers free outdoor films for two weekends this summer. The Solar-Powered Film Series is the first in New York City to use the power of the sun to operate an outdoor “eco-theater.” The independent film venue integrates natural and human-made components of our urban environment creating the city’s “greenest” motion picture showcase. The series, held at Solar One’s outdoor location in beautiful Stuyvesant Cove Park, showcases a commitment to green energy by powering each screening with clean, renewable, carbon-free solar energy.
The second week will be more eclectic, starting with an evening with local bicycle activist and Friend of Solar One Matthew Modine, who will be showing a selection of his own short films; continuing with Dirty Business, and expose of the “clean coal” myth; and ending with Home, a beautiful and inspiring look at our one and only planetary home through gorgeous aerial photography and historical/evolutionary narration by Glenn Close.
All films are free and open to the public.
The Solar-Powered Film Series Week Two Line Up:
August 25 An Evening with Matthew Modine
Matthew Modine is a political activist and a passionate environmentalist. He is the founder of Bicycle For A Day (BFAD), a global initiative focused on promoting the use of bicycles for transportation to reduce carbon emissions and their poisonous effect on the environment. “Bicycling is one thing each of us can do that has an immediate positive impact on the environment. It also helps reduce the risk of heart disease, diabetes, and obesity.”
In addition to being an internationally renowned actor, Matthew is also a filmmaker, writer, photographer. He has worked with many of the film industry’s most acclaimed directors on projects including Birdy, Full Metal Jacket, Married to the Mob, and Shortcuts and Showtime’s Weeds. He has been nominated for multiple Emmys and is the recipient of a Golden Globe Award, Venice Film Festival Volpi Cup and Golden Lion for his work as an actor. Matthew will be introducing and answering questions about his short films, as well as signing posters and other memorabilia after the screening.
When I Was A Boy (1993, 5 mins)
Written, edited, and produced by Matthew Modine
Directed by Matthew Modine and Todd Field
Smoking (1995, 14 mins)
Produced and directed by Matthew Modine
Written and narrated by David Sedaris
Ecce Pirate (1996, 21 mins)
Starring Chris Masterson, Richard Leaf, and Rex Linn
Written, photographed, and directed By Matthew Modine
To Kill An American (2005, 4 mins)
Written and directed by Matthew Modine
I Think I Thought (2007, 7 mins)
Matthew Modine wrote, co-produced, directed, and stars in this sardonically humorous short film co-produced and shot by Adam McClelland and edited by Terence Ziegler
Jesus Was A Commie Trailer (2011, 1:30 mins)
Matthew Modine’s new avant-garde short film premieres this October at the Hamptons International Film Festival. The film is co-directed and edited by Terence Ziegler and produced by Adam Rackoff.
August 26 Dirty Business (2010, 90 mins)
Can coal ever really be made “clean”? If we were to try to wean ourselves off coal, how would we keep the lights on? Is renewable energy ready for prime time?
August 27 Home (2009, 93 mins)
Over the past 200,000 years, humans have upset the balance of planet Earth, a balance established by nearly 4 billion years of evolution. Through visually stunning footage from over 50 countries, all shot from an aerial perspective, Yann Arthus-Bertrand shows us a view of our world that most of us have never seen.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Snag a studio for as low as $548 a month through the housing lottery at this sustainable building in BK