How to Find the Hurricane Sandy Shelter Closest to You
Hurricane Sandy has already started to rage, and water levels have been rising around New York. If you’re stuck in an evacuation zone with nowhere to go (or no way to get there with the subways being closed), you may want to head to one of the city appointed shelters to take refuge. Bring a book, some snacks and a blanket to hunker down and get to know your neighbors! Read on to see the list of shelters for every borough, and it might even be a good idea to print it out just in case power goes out.
Seward Park High School, at 350 Grand St.
Baruch College on East 23rd Street and Lexington Avenue
High School of Graphic Communication Arts, on West 49th Street, between Ninth and 10th avenues
John Jay College at 10th Avenue and West 59th Street
Hunter College, at Park Avenue and East 68th Street
Brandeis High School on West 84th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus avenues
IS 118, at Manhattan Avenue and West 105th Street
PS 171, on East 103rd between Fifth and Madison avenues
IS 88, between Adam Clayton Powell Blvd. and Fredrick Douglass Blvd
Bread and Roses High School, at Edgecombe Avenue and West 136th Street
City College, at Amsterdam Avenue and West 138th Street
IS 90, at Jumel Place and West 168th Street
George Washington High School, between Audobon and Amsterdam avenues at West 193rd Street.
NYC Technical College, at 300 Jay St.
Park Slope Armory, at 361 15th St.
J.H.S. 57, at 125 Stuyvesant Ave.
I.S. 111, 35 Starr St.
I.S. 117, AT 300 Willoughby Ave.
I.S. 136, at 4004 4th Ave.
I.S. 189, 1100 East New York Ave.
I.S. 246, 72 Veronica Place
P.S. 249, at 18 Marlborough Road
I.S. 271, 1137 Herkimer St.
I.S. 55, 2021 Bergen St.
I.S. 292, at 300 Wyona St.
I.S. 383, 1300 Greene Ave.
Franklin K. Lane High School, at 999 Jamaica Ave.
Brooklyn Tech High School, 29 Fort Greene Place
Boys & Girls High School, at 1700 Fulton St.
John Jay High School, 237 7th Ave.
Bushwick High School, 400 Irving Ave.
I.S. 187, at 1171 65 St.
Franklin D. Roosevelt High School, 5800 20 Ave.
Clara Barton High School, at 910 Classon Ave.
Queens College, 65-30 Kissena Blvd.
Queensborough Community College, at 222-05 56th Ave.
York College, at 94-20 Guy R. Brewer Blvd.
Grover Cleveland High School, at 21-27 Himrod St.
I.S. 217, 85-05 144 St.
Belmont Racetrack, Hempstead Turnpike and Cross Island Parkway
John Adams High School, at 101 Rockaway Blvd.
P.S. 136, at 201-15 115 Ave.
P.S. 19, at 98-02 Roosevelt Ave.
I.S. 74, at 61-15 Oceania St.
J.H.S. 185, 147-26 25 Drive
Bayside High School, 32-24 Corp. Kennedy Blvd.
Forest Hills High School, 67-01 110 St.
P.S. 175, 64-35 102 St.
William C. Bryant High School, 48-10 31 Ave.
P.S. 20, at 142-30 Barclay Ave.
Newcomers High School, at 28-01 21st Ave.
P.S. 166, 33-09 35 Ave.
Newtown High School, 48-01 90 St.
Flushing High School, at 35-01 Union St.
Hillcrest High School, at 160-05 Highland Ave.
Aviation High School; 45-30 36 St.
Lehman College, at 250 Bedford Park Blvd.
Bronx Community College, at 20 West 181st St.
I.S. 201, 730 Bryant Ave.
I.S. 98, 1619 Boston Road
P.S. 102, 1827 Archer St.
M.S./H.S. 141, 660 West 237 St.
I.S. 145, at 1000 Teller Ave.
P.S. 211, at 1919 Prospect Ave.
P.S. 92, 100 East 179 St.
P.S. 306, 40 West Tremont Ave.
William H. Taft High School, at 240 East 172 St.
Evander Childs High School, 800 East Gun Hill Road
Harry S. Truman High School, 750 Baychester Ave.
P.S. 5, 564 Jackson Ave.
P.S. 80, at 715 Ocean Terrace
I.S. 51, at 20 Houston St.
Curtis High School, 105 Hamilton Ave.
Tottenville High School, 100 Luten Ave.
Susan E. Wagner High School, at 1200 Manor Road.
You can find out which shelter is closest to you, and if you should evacuate on NYC.gov’s Hurricane Map. Get to one of the many city refuges and stay safe!
- New Green Grade School To Open in East Village – Will Be Downtown Manhattan’s First Waldorf Inspired School
- Upper Manhattan Could Soon Be Getting Its First Protected Bike Lane
- See Which NYC Subway Lines Are Running Today
- Inhabitat Speaks to Amie Hamlin of Coalition for Healthy School Food on Vegetarian Schools and Why Vegan is Healthier
- Take Your Tots to the New Amsterdam Early Childhood Center’s Annual Spring Fair this Saturday, April 28
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Environmental groups call for Indian Point nuclear plant shutdown citing radioactive leakage, equipment failures and expired licenses