Avocados are beloved for the rich, creamy texture they add to savory dishes like guacamole, but did you know they are excellent in desserts as well? If your sweet tooth has you hankering for a cool, summery treat, check out our video showing you how to make velvety avocado ice cream right at home. The best part? No ice cream maker necessary!
YOU WILL NEED:
– 3 small, ripe avocados (mashed up)
– 1 1/2 cups of whole milk (you can also use coconut milk if you want to make the recipe vegan, but the texture will be a bit more grainy)
– 1 cup of heavy cream (you can also use coconut cream)
– 1/2 cup of sugar
– spoonful of coconut cream for taste (optional)
– 1 tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice
– 1 bowl to put your ice cream in (stainless steel works well)
– 1 bowl filled with ice and water
– a blender
TIP: To make a healthier version, try adjusting/decreasing the heavy cream and sugar.
Combine all of the ingredients except for the heavy cream and puree in a blender.
Pop your empty bowl into the bowl filled with ice and then spoon the avocado mixture into the top bowl. Slowly whisk in the heavy cream.
Once all of the ingredients are incorporated, cover the mixture and pop it in the freezer. Or, if you have an ice cream maker, feel free to pour your avocado mixture into it and let it do its thing.
What your avocado ice cream will look like after a few hours in the freezer.
After about 30 minutes, check your avocado ice cream. Using a whisk or fork, break down any chunks that may have solidified and then put the mixture back into the freezer.
TIP: Taste your ice cream at this point. If it tastes too “avocado-y” for you, add more lemon juice.
Repeat step 5 every half an hour until your ice cream has solidified completely (mine took about 3 hours). Then serve or store!
TIP: If your avocado ice cream gets too hard at any point, just pop it in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Photos ©Yuka Yoneda