– a tote bag (one with sturdy, hard fabric will work best since you don’t want your wine bottles clanging into one another)
– a needle and thread or a sewing machine
– a pencil
– a ruler or a box of foil
THIS GIVEAWAY HAS NOW ENDED:
We announced the winner in our October 24th newsletter here.
Theresa and Mark have also teamed up with Dove to offer 3 guys the opportunity to win a home upgrade worth $15,000, a private consultation with the Clements,
Originally published in October 2012
Celebrate the spirit of New York City and crown yourself as a DIY rock star by making this kick-ass Chrysler Building costume! If you’ve got foil, cardboard, felt, hot glue and a silver dress, you’re ready to rock
You will need:
– a blender
– a mason jar
– your smoothie ingredients (I used melon, apple, pear, locally-grown kale and water for mine)
Very carefully unscrew the bottom cap of your blender pitcher. Be wary of the fact that the blade will
Note: The Ooho is made using sodium alginate and calcium chloride using a formula developed by the designers. Our recipe is an approximation that replaces calcium chloride with calcium lactate, resulting in a membrane that is less tough.
YOU WILL NEED:
HOW TO ENTER TO WIN:
1. Like Inhabitat NYC by clicking the button below.
2. Sign up for the Inhabitat NYC newsletter here. We’ll be announcing the winner in our newsletter, so you’ll want to be signed up!
That’s it! Good luck, and make sure you’re
Have a love for mason jars and moss? Then this class is right up your alley! Join the amazing minds behind Twig Terrariums and get twiggy with materials found at our BIG!NYC reuse center to create a one of a kind terrarium! $65 per person, materials are included.
• Begonia tubers (make sure you use quality tubers that are firm and have no bruises)
• Potting soil or a potting mix
• Small pot, about 3-4″ in diameter
• Terrarrium dome
• Dish for the base
(All of these come as part of of
What does an NYC Easter egg look like? That’s the question that New York transplant and blogger Natalie Broulette asked herself, and the result was this basket of colorful subway-inspired eggs! Broulette tapped into her creative juices and made egg versions
DIY VIDEO: Model Summer Rayne Oakes Shows You How to Make a Mason Jar Herb Garden for Your Kitchen Wall
– mason jars
– hose clamps
– recycled wood board (or boards depending on how many rows of herbs you want)
– glue to adhere the board to your wall before you secure with screws
– stones for drainage
– and herbs of course!
Head over to the Morris-Jumel Mansion this weekend to join award-winning artist Andrea Arroyo in a special DIY workshop for Women’s History Month. Arroyo will show you how to create a three-dimensional seed mosaic using card-stock and everyday materials. Click
Just so you know, the Ikea PS Plant Stands that we used in this DIY can certainly be used separately instead of in duplicate or triplicate and they were specifically designed for garden lovers in big cities. “I wanted to create a kitchen garden for with
The holidays may be over but that doesn’t mean that you can’t learn some awesome new card-making skills to put to use in the new year! Join award-winning cartoonist Felipe Galindo as he teaches you how to create one-of-a-kind pop up cards using paper and cardboard.
The Softwalks initiative was born out of the MFA Transdisciplinary Design program at Parsons, The New School. Students were inspired by the Department of Transportation’s amazing makeover of the city’s traffic heavy areas into giant pedestrian walkways like
– One full size mattress
– One 4 x 4 grid Ikea Expedit bookshelf (find some inexpensive options here on craigslist)
– 2 sheets of 1/2″ thick plywood cut to 38″ wide x 60″ long (technically you could use one large sheet of plywood instead of
Having graduated from both architecture school and culinary school, Baumann knew that she didn’t want to make a ho-hum candy-covered gingerbread house. “If I’m going to the trouble of making my own darn gingerbread house, then I’m going to make whatever
With so many economic challenges, The Art Party serves to offer peaceful alternatives that support creativity and social programs. A critical component involves incorporating resourcefulness and environmental consciousness into daily life. The group celebrates
ikea, ikea catalog, ikea products, ikea catalog 2015,
Summer camp attendees will work on DIY projects based on their own suggestions, restyle old clothes and create reusable shopping bags.
“I try to help children understand that not only is sewing a fun thing you can do, but you can also turn it into
By Brooklyn, bybrooklyn, brooklyn made goods, things made in brooklyn, where to buy stuff made in brooklyn, brooklyn made gifts, bklyn designs
Chu’s very modestly-sized room is actually part of what is called a “1.5 apartment” in Brooklyn, New York, where a roommate occupies a larger bedroom and Chu lives in the half-bedroom. The key to the space is the over-sized, custom-made canopy bed, which serves
Once Rowell signed her lease, she realized that every bit of furniture would have to be custom-made. With the help of a friend, she built her bed frame and shelving units. As for her closet, she uses the services of Make Space to store and rotate her
Image via Flickr
Found in many of NYC’s parks, red clovers make a tasty brew with a soothing, sweet punch. According to the foragers at Nona Brooklyn, the red clover is medicinally known to cure respiratory ailments and skin conditions, including eczema.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Urban farming has been gaining popularity these days in NYC, but a Brooklyn-based company is taking the verdant practice to new heights--literally. Hidden away on a Johnson Avenue warehouse rooftop between Bushwick and East Williamsburg, Edenworks's custom-designed aquaponic growing system (a.k.a. Farmlab) is able to grow lush greens in a compact, 800-square-foot space. In stark contrast to the concrete jungle found outside, the indoor roof space is filled with a lush garden installed atop a tiered structure that features tanks full of tilapia fish.
READ MORE >
Spectra's plan to expand natural gas pipeline near nuclear power plant could threaten 20 million people
READ MORE >
As much as we love writing about treehouses in rural areas, the fact that there's such a dearth of them in the big city is a bit disappointing. That's why we were so delighted to come upon this Fort Greene townhouse that fulfills our urban treehouse desires with an oasis-like backyard and roomy wooden perch amidst the leaves.
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >