Brooklyn Bridge ParkBrooklyn Bridge Park, Brooklyn, NY 11201
Brooklyn Bridge Park website >
HOURS: Daily, 6am to 1am
NEIGHBORHOOD: Brooklyn Heights, Brooklyn
Brooklyn Bridge Park may still be a work in-progress, but the beautiful open portions have already made it a must-see waterfront destination. Pier 1 offers striking views of downtown Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge, and large, sloping grass lawns, perfect for picnicking. Plus, Pier 1 has a NYC Water Taxi stop, local food vendors, a wine bar, the Brooklyn Ice Cream Factory, a small playground, and water gardens. The other open section, Pier 6 has four awesome themed playgrounds, guaranteed to fulfill every kid’s dream.
The park boasts a slew of green features, including a stormwater reclamation system used to irrigate the park, green roofs on gate houses and maintenance buildings, and partially solar-powered lighting. Recycled and reclaimed materials were used to create park structures, and all of the lawns are maintained organically. All vegetation is native to this ecosystem, and bird and marine habitats were created to minimize human impact on the new habitat.
Piers 2 through 5 are currently under construction. They will add sports fields, recreation courts, boat access, more natural habitats, picnic areas, and much, much more. To learn the details and stay up to date on the construction timeline, visit the park’s website.
READER REVIEWS (2)
I LOVE Brooklyn Bridge Park. There’s never too much going on here, and that’s the beauty of it. You can simply relax and take in the views of the bridge and Manhattan. There is ample seating and lawn space, perfect for picnics or just reading a book. It doesn’t hurt that the Brooklyn Ice Cream factory is located here! I can’t wait for the rest of the piers to open — it’s going to be even more fantastic.
Is the grass native? That would be unusual.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
Canal Street Market: New shopping destination featuring local NYC brands opens right in time for the holidays
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
12/9/2016 - Creating Ecological Plant Communities: Digging Deep into Plant Knowledge with the Masters