Children’s Museum of the Arts182 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10013
Children’s Museum of the Arts website >
HOURS: Monday and Tuesday CLOSED
Wednesday through Sunday 12pm-5pm
NEIGHBORHOOD: Soho, Manhattan
DIRECTIONS: By Subway: 6 to Spring Street; NQRW or JM to Canal Street; BDF to Broadway Lafayette. By Bus: M1 to Centre Street/Broome Street; M6 to Broadway/Broome Street
The mission of the Children’s Museum of the Arts is to extend the benefits of the arts to all children and their communities and to secure the future of the arts by inspiring and championing the next generation of artists and art lovers. They provide authentic hands-on art experiences for children with artists, both in our art-filled interactive museum, in the community, and by collecting and exhibiting children’s art.
Exhibitions at the Children’s Museum of the Arts are designed to encourage conversation between museum visitors young and old alike. Each exhibition is selected to inspire children and their families in their art-making at CMA and to foster a safe environment for children to express themselves freely. CMA maintains a collection of over 2,000 pieces of art made by children from 50 different countries, dating back to the 1930’s.
They host summer arts camps in Soho and on Governor’s Island, along with classes throughout the year held at the museum.
READER REVIEW (1)
If your child likes Art, he will love this museum. It is a wonderful place to go and explore, discover and create art.My daughter is five and she always has fun when we visit. On fridays there is a toddler drop off class that goes on from 10-12. Every 15min they open a different area for the children to discover. They end the morning with an excellent Sing along and story time. The staff is great and the setting of the museum is ideal for children to explore and create while admiring other children’s work.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Spectra's plan to expand natural gas pipeline near nuclear power plant could threaten 20 million people
READ MORE >
As much as we love writing about treehouses in rural areas, the fact that there's such a dearth of them in the big city is a bit disappointing. That's why we were so delighted to come upon this Fort Greene townhouse that fulfills our urban treehouse desires with an oasis-like backyard and roomy wooden perch amidst the leaves.
- READ MORE >