Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum2 East 91st Street, New York, NY 10128
Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum website >
HOURS: Monday–Friday: 10 a.m.–5 p.m.
Saturday: 10 a.m.–6 p.m.
Sunday: 11 a.m. –6 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Upper East Side, Manhattan
A part of the Smithsonian Institute, the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum is the only museum in the nation devoted entirely to displaying historic and contemporary design. The institution houses a collection of more than 250,000 design objects, ranging from the Han Dynasty to today, and a world class design library with over 70,000 volumes. Every year, the Cooper-Hewitt hosts the annual National Design Awards, honoring the best in American design. Located in the landmark 1903 Andrew Carnegie Mansion on Fifth Avenue, the museum’s building and campus are just as beautiful as the work inside. Exhibits range from displays of antique wallpaper to shows examining parts of the world not served by professional design to rooms full of handcrafted wooden chairs.
General admission is $15, for students with ID and seniors it is $10.
READER REVIEWS (2)
The Carnegie mansion is gorgeous and a glimpse into what NYC once was. I also love their summer parties in the garden.
I love the Cooper-Hewitt – it is the epitome of a thoughtful, provocative design museum. The special exhibits are always interesting and the permanent collection is awesome. I also love their design programs for kids that they run in the summer.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Bill de Blasio says he'll support a plastic bag fee to cut down on the 9 billion bags used annually in NYC
- READ MORE >