IKEA1 Beard Street, Brooklyn, NY 11231
IKEA website >
HOURS: Monday-Sunday 10am-9pm
NEIGHBORHOOD: Red Hook, Brooklyn
CATEGORIES: furniture, homewares
IKEA is an international Swedish home products company committed to producing high quality furnishings at low prices. As a whole, the company takes environmental responsibility and implements green practices, most notable being that they were the first major retailer to stop selling incandescent light bulbs. They evaluate and consider the environmental impact of each product, and strive to use raw materials, while focusing on safety and quality. Their Brooklyn store offers an on-site cafeteria for customers, and home delivery (up to 100 miles) starting at just $69. Located in Red Hook, IKEA can be tricky to get to without a car, but the store offers a shuttle service to and from Downtown Brooklyn, and NYC Water Taxi provides a ferry from South Street in Manhattan. On the weekends, service is free!
READER REVIEWS (3)
Furniture from Ikea may not have the same character as vintage pieces, but Ikea’s furniture is affordable and smartly designed. I know I will always find what I’m looking for when I visit this store — their frame department and kitchen supplies section have never failed me. Even if I’m not looking for anything, I like wandering around, looking at the designs. Plus, I’ll take a free ferry ride just about anywhere.
I just moved and have gone to Ikea two mondays in a row. It was actually pretty painless- I took the subway to the bus. There are free shuttle busses, but they don’t start running until 3pm. I picked up a bunch of energy efficient lightbulbs, and a roomful of furniture- delivery the next day was only $60, and they brought all the heavy boxes up into my apt, thankfully because it was HEAVY!
IKEA is a great one-stop shop when trying to furnish an apartment affordably. Their styles have really evolved over the last few years, and I think it’s possible to find pieces that mimic more expensive designs you’d find elsewhere. The best part is that you can assemble most pieces on your own! That fact never ceases to amaze me!
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before