Invisible Dog Art Center51 bergen street, Brooklyn, NY, , Brooklyn, NY 11201
Invisible Dog Art Center website >
HOURS: Thursday to Saturday 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Boerum Hill, Brooklyn
When Lucien Zayan rented the building at 51 Bergen St. in Boerum Hill in 2009, the three-story factory was falling apart and filled with junk. In less than a year, Zayan, who moved to New York from France to start the center, transformed the building into The Invisible Dog Art Center with two exhibition spaces and twenty-five artists studios. The center puts on about a dozen shows per year, with exhibitors ranging from emerging local artists to established European artists.
From 1970 to 1995, the building functioned as a belt factory. The company’s claim to fame came in the late ’70s with the invention of the invisible dog leash, which Zayan named the art center after. When factory operations shut down, the materials remained and collected dust for over a decade. Now the belts, buckles, and beads have found their way into the artwork of many artists in residency. Zayan replaced and renovated essential parts of the building, but left most of the interior raw, allowing for artists and organizations to design their own exhibition space.
The center has grown into a community space with different groups offering workshops, performances, and parties nearly every day of the week.
READER REVIEW (1)
What Lucien has done to this building is nothing short of amazing. In my opinion, he created one of the most beautiful and unique art galleries in the whole city. Plus, he is the sweetest, most helpful person you could ever meet! No matter when you stop by, he’s most likely to be there, and will undoubtedly engage you in conversation. The exhibits put on at the center are eclectic and interesting, ranging from short shows by Recession Art, to six month long installations on the ground floor. Truly a great art space not to be missed.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
Tour the World's First WELL Certified Residential Building Where Leonardo DiCaprio Recently Purchased an Apartment (PHOTOS)
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >