Jamaica Bay Wildlife RefugeCross Bay Blvd. nr. Broad Channel , Queens, NY 11693
Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge website >
HOURS: Jan.—Feb.: Wed.—Sun., 8:30 a.m.—5 p.m.; Mon.—Tue., closed;
Mar.—Dec.: daily, 8:30 a.m.—5 p.m.
CATEGORIES: parks, wildlife center
The Manhattan skyline is still visible through the haze, but you’ll feel a world away when you’re standing in the middle of the Jamaica Bay Wildlife Refuge. The refuge is a peaceful natural habitat spread out over 9,155 acres and dozens of little islets, but only the areas called the East and West Ponds are open to the public — the rest is reserved for natural wildlife. More than 335 species of birds and dozens of other animals live in the refuge, which lies between Brooklyn and Queens near Broad Channel and Far Rockaway. Two paths take visitors around the salt marshes and dense woods, home to thousands of migrating ducks and geese. Be sure to bring your bug spray because the mosquitos and horseflies can be vicious.
The recently built eco-friendly visitors center houses exhibits highlighting the Jamaica Bay’s features, and park rangers are always on hand to answer questions. Guided tours are offered year round.
READER REVIEW (1)
Jamaica Bay really is something else. I’ve only visited the Wildlife Refuge once, but it’s hard to believe it’s in New York City. We visited in the early spring, which seemed to be an ideal time. I’m not a bird-watching expert, but I do know that we saw a couple dozen different types of birds. I would give it a five-star rating, but the mosquitoes are really bad. Bring loads of bug spray!
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Is HAO's Alternative Domino Sugar Complex Plan Better for Williamsburg Than Two Trees' Current Design?
- READ MORE >