Metropolitan Museum of Art1000 Fifth Ave., New York, NY 10028
Metropolitan Museum of Art website >
Monday: Closed (except holiday Mondays)
Tuesday–Thursday: 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
Friday and Saturday: 9:30 a.m.–9:00 p.m.
Sunday: 9:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Upper East Side, Manhattan
With more than two million pieces of art in its collection, the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the largest cultural institutions in the world. The collection is divided into 19 curatorial departments, and eras represented range from ancient Greek sculptures and medieval architecture to modern digital art and American design. Five million people visit the museum each year, and nearly all of its departments are superlative. In addition to the permanent galleries, about 30 temporary exhibitions are mounted each year. Exhibits range from blockbusters like The Vatican Collection to single artist shows put on by a specific department. In recent years, the Met has opened up its roof garden for special exhibitions. To date, the most ambitious and popular roof exhibit has been Big Bambu, a growing, changing structure created from bamboo by Doug and Mike Starn displayed from April 27, 2010–October 31, 2010.
READER REVIEWS (3)
The permanent collections at The Met are incredible, but the roof top garden exhibits are by far my favorite part of the museum. One of the most amazing exhibits that I’ve ever seen/been a part of was Big Bambu. I wish it could have been made permanent!
The Met is my absolute favorite museum. I love to go there alone with my iPod, and twirl around the 18th century reconstructed ballrooms, then French Decorative arts, then early Netherlandish, then Warhols- the collection is just so complete I just get lost, and always love to sit in their cafe with a cup of coffee to think about everything I’ve seen that day.
The Met is a fascinating museum with endless hallways of precious treasures. I personally love the Egyptian artifacts collection, and their restaurant is great for a first date.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Check out + POOL's free art installation at the Ace Hotel to learn about NYC's first river-purifying pool
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >