Museum of Modern Art11 West 53 Street, New York, NY 10019
Museum of Modern Art website >
HOURS: Saturday - Monday 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Wednesday - Thursday 10:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
Friday 10:30 a.m. to 8 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Midtown, Manhattan
CATEGORIES: art, architecture, design
The Museum of Modern Art is the central institution of New York City’s art world. The energy of the museum is captured in the millions of visitors, just as much as it is in its vast and awe-inspiring collection. A leader in developing and collecting modernist art, it’s often pointed to as the single most influential museum in the modern art world. MoMA’s holdings include more than 150,000 pieces of art, in addition to 22,000 films and 4 million film stills. Some of its most famous works include The Starry Night by Van Gogh, Water Lilies by Monet, and Number 31 by Jackson Pollock. The museum also boasts the world’s first curatorial department dedicate to architecture and design. The collection consists of 28,000 works, ranging from blueprints and works on paper to large scale models, appliances, and sports cars.
In the early 2000s, the museum underwent an extensive renovation, designed by Japaneses architect Yoshio Taniguchi. The remodeling doubled the space for the museum’s exhibitions and programs, optimized the building’s use of natural light, and expanded its beloved sculpture garden.
Admission is free for children under 16, $12 for students with ID, $16 for seniors, and $20 for adults. Members are free, guests of members cost $5.
READER REVIEWS (3)
MoMA’s permanent collection is great, as is their film program!
If I could, I would visit MoMA every day. They house so many of my favorite works of art, and it’s a complete thrill every time I visit. It’s incredible the exhibits that they can mount just within their own permanent collection.
I once interned at MoMA, so I am partial to their collections. I especially love the sculptures in the outdoor courtyard! The woman almost falling into the garden pool is one of my favorites. Their permanent installations boast some of the greatest, most recognizable pieces of modern art.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
The Well Behaved Building: The Climate, Buildings and Behavior Symposium Comes to Garrison, NY Next Month
- READ MORE >