New York City Transit Museum130 Livingston Street, Brooklyn, NY 11201
New York City Transit Museum website >
HOURS: Tuesday – Friday 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday Noon to 5 p.m.
Closed Mondays and major holidays
NEIGHBORHOOD: Downtown Brooklyn, Brooklyn
Public transportation is one of the greenest ways to get around the city. At the New York Transit Museum — housed in a repurposed historic IND subway station — you can learn all about New York’s transportation history through the museum’s rich collections of photographs, maps, drawings, documents, and other ephemera. It is the largest museum in the United States devoted to urban public transportation history, and one of the premier institutions of its kind in the world. The museum explores the development of the greater New York Metropolitan region through the presentations of exhibitions, tours, educational programs, and workshops dealing with the cultural, social, and technological history of public transportation. Since it’s inception over a quarter century ago, the museum has grown in scope and popularity.
READER REVIEWS (2)
One of the more enjoyable museum experiences for sure. A lot of fun hands-on options are available throughout the space. A good place to go for a family day or with any train/public transit fan.
I’ve always been fascinated by the subway, from wondering HOW it was constructed so long ago, to the days when William Randolph Hearst had a private car- up to the graffiti movement that the subways played such an incredible role in.
This museum is really cool, and made me appreciate the train I ride every day a little more.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
15,000-sq-ft rooftop park boasts sweeping city views and ice cream served out of a 1974 Airstream trailer
- READ MORE >