Sustainable NYC139 Avenue A, New York, NY 10009
Sustainable NYC website >
HOURS: Winter Hours: Daily, 9am to 10pm
NEIGHBORHOOD: East Village, Alphabet City, Manhattan
CATEGORIES: green store
“Green” is the only word you need to describe Sustainable NYC. From all-natural toiletries and organic baby blankets to non-toxic cleaners and recycled clothing, Sustainable NYC sells everything you need to live a greener lifestyle. All of their products are either local, organic, recycled, fair trade, repurposed, biodegradable, or produced with alternative energy. The 1,300 square foot store is built from 300-year old reclaimed timber, and all of the furniture and fixtures are recycled and for sale. The wall paper and paint are eco-friendly, the outdoor sign is solar powered, and they use alternative energy electricity. They also have an in-house cafe, Ciao For Now, that serves organic coffee and all-natural baked goods. If every store was as fabulously green as Sustainable NYC, the world would be a much better place.
READER REVIEWS (2)
This store really does have green everything, but I stop here for Ciao For Now’s vegan baked goods. They are better than Teany’s!
Oh how I LOVE this store. When shopping for gifts it is my first stop! They have so many lovely items for men, women, and children and even pets!!! A store that really has great taste in its selection of products. Please, please never go away ever.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
READ MORE >
Urban farming has been gaining popularity these days in NYC, but a Brooklyn-based company is taking the verdant practice to new heights--literally. Hidden away on a Johnson Avenue warehouse rooftop between Bushwick and East Williamsburg, Edenworks's custom-designed aquaponic growing system (a.k.a. Farmlab) is able to grow lush greens in a compact, 800-square-foot space. In stark contrast to the concrete jungle found outside, the indoor roof space is filled with a lush garden installed atop a tiered structure that features tanks full of tilapia fish.
READ MORE >
Spectra's plan to expand natural gas pipeline near nuclear power plant could threaten 20 million people
READ MORE >
As much as we love writing about treehouses in rural areas, the fact that there's such a dearth of them in the big city is a bit disappointing. That's why we were so delighted to come upon this Fort Greene townhouse that fulfills our urban treehouse desires with an oasis-like backyard and roomy wooden perch amidst the leaves.
- READ MORE >