The High LineOffice Location, 529 West 20th St., Suite 8W, New York, NY 10011
The High Line website >
HOURS: Daily 7am to 10pm (8pm in the winter)
NEIGHBORHOOD: West Side, Manhattan
DIRECTIONS: You can enter the park at Gansevoort, 14th, 16th, 18th, and 20th Streets near 10th Avenue.
A unique and beautifully designed park, The High Line is an elevated green space created on a former freight railroad line on Manhattan’s lower west side. For 50 years, the line was used by freight trains, but it fell out of use and into disrepair in the 1980s. In 2000, a photographer captured the wildness of the High Line, which had been reclaimed by nature and was overgrown with wildflowers and tall grasses. The images were the impetus for the space to be renovated into a park, and the first section opened to the public in 2009. The new plantings were inspired by the wildflowers, and the new landscape focuses on native species. Visitors can walk along a central path, taking in unusual views of Manhattan and the Hudson River, and the park’s special features include a sundeck, viewing platforms, performance spaces, and a water feature. The High Line rotates public art exhibits and regularly hosts nature events, design programs, and gardening activities.
The park runs from Gansevoort Street in the Meatpacking District to 34th Street, between 10th & 11th Avenues. Section 1 (the opened section) of the High Line runs from Gansevoort Street to 20th Street. Section 2 is set to open in 2011.
READER REVIEWS (2)
One of the coolest parks of all time! The high lines incorporates the natural overgrowth that took place while the rail line was abandoned and has a sleek, almost zen like feel. Take a slow walk when the weather is good and to beat the crowds, go in the early evening on a weekday, weekends can get a little packed.
Beautiful transformation that has become a popular downtown attraction. Can become a little overrun with tourists at times, but is really worth visiting, especially when the weather is warm.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Is HAO's Alternative Domino Sugar Complex Plan Better for Williamsburg Than Two Trees' Current Design?
- READ MORE >