Whitney Museum of American Art945 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10021
Whitney Museum of American Art website >
HOURS: Closed Monday and Tuesday
Wednesday - Thursday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Friday 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
NEIGHBORHOOD: Upper East Side, Manhattan
The Whitney museum focuses on American art from the 20th and 21st centuries, and the institute prides itself on exhibiting the work of living artists. The eclectic collection is a must-see for contemporary art lovers, and the museum’s international biennial exhibition has long been a venue for emerging and under represented artists. The Whitney’s permanent collection holds more than 18,000 pieces by artists including Louise Bourgeois, Robert Rauschenberg, Cindy Sherman, and Mark Rothko. The current 7-story museum is located on Madison Avenue in the Upper East Side, but construction is underway for a new main building in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan. The building will mark the southern entrance of the High Line park, and construction is expected to be complete by 2015.
READER REVIEWS (3)
The Whitney is great. A totally manageable amount of art for even the not so artsy tourist or resident of New York. The layout is great, but sometimes I fear their exhibits go over some people’s heads. The Roni Horn and Georgia O”Keeffe exhibits last year were spectacular.
My favorite way to enjoy the Whitney is to start at the bottom and take the stairs up to each floor- which ends up being great because most people take the elevator to the top and work their way down. They have had some incredible exhibitions- one of my all time faves being Gordon Matta-Clark. The Whitney Biennial is always a scene, even if it is hit or miss. I’m curious to see the new location- I kind of think that the Meatpacking district needs a museum.
Adore the Whitney! Haven’t visited in a while, but fell in love with Edward Hopper during an exhibit a few years back.
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
- READ MORE >
READ MORE >
Mayor de Blasio announces that all NYC buildings have discontinued burning harmful No. 6 heating oil