Aside from being New York City’s oldest house (it was built in 1652), the Wyckoff House Museum was also New York’s first official landmark. In order to preserve the sanctity of the site, nARCHITECTS designed the new addition around the historic home, closing it off from the hubbub of the surrounding area of East Flatbush, Brooklyn.
The new structure will welcome visitors through a covered and shaded area with a slanted roof that has a direct sight line to the historic home. The tilt of the new structure will allow for snow and rain run off naturally. With a design based on the farm buildings on the property, the new addition will help to tie in the visual identity of the site, without contrasting with the historic features too much. The dark exterior contrasts with orange terracotta glazed panels on the underside of the structure, which echo the color scheme and design of a china cabinet inside the house.
The structure will help the museum expand by housing public programs, administrative offices, and an area for outdoor programming. The landscape will be planted with native and historical plants, designed by Nancy Owens Studio.
The award-winning addition will break ground in late 2013.