The Pratt Institute for Design is known for its phenomenal furniture design students as well as architects, artists, graphic designers, but for trash can designers? Yes, that’s right, recent graduate Nicole Howell turned her ‘Toss With Care’ trash can design
Recently, Inhabitat was welcomed into the 200 Church Street location in Tribeca, and lucky for us it was also CSA day which meant even more local and fresh produce to enjoy. Repurposed shipping crates still retaining the marks of being shipped around the world
Tired of schlepping your hand-me-downs all over town just to recycle them? You might not need to for much longer. City officials are teaming up with Housing Works, an organization dedicated to helping homeless people affected by HIV/AIDS, to create Refashion
As of today, all public parks, plazas, beaches, and green spaces in New York City are smoke free. The city’s controversial smoking ban officially takes effect today, meaning that lighting up a cancer stick in the middle of Central Park will now cost you $50.
Community “swaps” provide the perfect opportunity to find new homes for things you no longer need. By taking home items that you can use, you are also helping to prevent waste from production, packaging and transportation required to get new things. On June 18, you can find GrowNYC collecting clothes at the Beach 96th Street Block Party.
The Office of Recycling Outreach and Education coordinates the Stop ‘N’ Swap in the communities where we are working to improve recycling in order to facilitate waste prevention and material reuse. …
Come see NYC recycling in a completely new light it in this year’s Emmy Award winner in Environmental Programming. The screening of The Green Apple: Recycling, will be followed with by a presentation with OROE, who will be holding an interesting discussion
It’s a question we think about a lot here at Inhabitat: what is a sustainable city? Is it LEED certified buildings? Efficient public transportation? An abundance of green space? This past Friday, we had the pleasure of attending The Sustainable City Mayoral
From 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. yesterday, May 7th, the StreetFest transformed the Bowery and the Lower East Side into a dynamic green hub abuzz with activity. Tents lined the Bowery, from Spring Street up to Houston, with vendors ranging from Green Depot, which was
The Lower East Side Ecology Center is holding an electronic waste (“e-waste”) recycling event at the Festival of Ideas for the New City in the Lower East Side to responsibly recycle unwanted or broken electronics from New York City residents.
We accept the following working and non-working equipment:
• Computers (laptops & desktops, servers, mainframes)
• Printers, scanners, fax-machines, copiers
• Network devices (routers, hubs, modems, etc.)
• Peripherals (keyboards, mice, cables, etc.)
• Components (hard drives, …
As we move further and further from our traditional agricultural ways we find ourselves surrounded by underused farming materials, especially barns. After The Barn is taking the once beautiful pastoral structures that are on the verge of collapse and transforming
Inhabitat recently got a private tour of the Hearst Tower! Completed in 2006, the tower was the first building in New York City to receive LEED Gold certification.
New Yorkers have had an unspoken tradition of freecycling for years. Walking down any city street, we often see items set up in “display” that are free for the taking. Perfectly usable books, furniture, clothing, purses that are meant for the garbage can
Join a group of leading Mayors as they discuss their work on making their cities ready and open for the long-term future during the Festival of Ideas “The Sustainable City Mayoral Panel.” The sustainable city is the city with a future. Between greenwashing and scolding, it is easy to be cynical about admonitions to change our resource-consuming habits, but the fact is that our future depends on it—and on making our cities not only environmentally but economically and politically sustainable as well.
Introduction by David Byrne
Musician, artist, producer, …
Solar One and GrowNYC present Green from the Inside Out on Thursday, May 20th, from 6-8:30pm at the City College of New York in the North Academic Center (Ballroom), located on Convent Avenue and 138h Street. This event gives co-op and condo owners, building
Bittertang designed Burble Bup, a whimsical, eco-friendly pavilion that will host performances all summer long on Governor’s Island.
With the motto of “never landfill a re-usable item,” the Film Biz Prop Shop is much more than a thrift store.
It’s spring cleaning time! Collect your old, unwanted gadgets and recycled them the eco-friendly way to keep electronics out of the waste stream. Stop by this E-waste Recycling event at P.S. 29 in Brooklyn on April 30. Check out the list of acceptable so
Join the Neighborhood Housing Services of East Flatbush for the 2nd Annual Eco-Fair to create greener Brooklyn neighborhoods. NHS is committed to learning with our Brooklyn neighbors how we all can be better eco-citizens by sharing information about environment-friendly
Rain or shine, join State Senator Joe Addabbo for a huge recycling event at Forest Park in Queens! All are welcomed to bring clothing & textiles, electronics, confidential papers (shredded while you watch), and residential carpeting. Please click here
It’s spring cleaning time! Collect your old, unwanted gadgets and recycled them the eco-friendly way to keep electronics out of the waste stream. Stop by this E-waste Recycling event at Van Cortlant Park on April 17. Check out the list of acceptable so
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Featured Inhabitat Stories
- Tweets about "@inhabitat"