Thanks to public health initiatives and creative urban alternatives, New York City's life expectancy has increased more than anywhere else in the United States. The death rate is lower…
The opening of the long anticipated National September 11 Museum is being pushed back, according to Mayor Bloomberg. Because of an ongoing debate with the Port Authority of New York and…
Thanks to a new law, parents of New York City students can be a little less worried about undetected polychlorinated biphenyl (PCB) leaking fluorescent light fixtures. The City Council…
It's soon going to be easier for New York City buildings to go green. On December 12, a new set of 20 green zoning rules will be unveiled by the Bloomberg administration. The new set of…
Good news, New York! We are on track to hit the PlaNYC goal of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by 30 percent by 2017! Mayor Bloomberg made the announcement yesterday as he kicked off…
According to the New York Times, the storm left both of New York's major airports closed on Sunday afternoon, and it caused widespread flooding in low-lying neighborhoods of Brooklyn,…
DOT Commissioner Janette Sadik-Khan officially announced the return of the Summer Streets and Weekend Walks programs in June. On August 6, 13, and 20 from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m., the city…
The fight for a ban on cars in Central Park has been a back and forth debate between Manhattan Community Boards and the Department of Transportation, but it's looking like arguments for…
Despite Mayor Bloomberg's resistance to banning cars from Central Park, the Community Boards surrounding the park are all in favor of implementing a trial ban this summer. Just…
Gotham City? How about Solar City? Thanks to a brand new, highly detailed scientific map, New York City could see a massive increase in rooftop solar panels. In fact, NYC could more…
Would you slow down for a skeleton? The NYC Department of Transportation believes you will. In an effort to slow down city traffic, the DOT is installing new traffic signs that flash…
It's official. New York City's Taxi of Tomorrow is a minivan. In what has become a rather controversial competition, the Taxi and Limousine Commission has just announced that it chose…
Just yesterday, we reported that one of the finalists for New York's Taxi of Tomorrow, the V1 model by Turkish automaker Karsan, would be built in Brooklyn, creating up to 800 local…
Earlier this week, city officials broke ground on a brownfield site in Williamsburg, initiating a clean-up and redevelopment of Triangle Court, a vacant lot just east of the BQE.
Environmental groups from all across New York State came together in Albany earlier this week for a ‘Fracking Day of Action.'
Pedestrian plazas, specifically those in Times Square, are majorly improving New York City's air quality.
Whether it's the heated debate over the Prospect Park West Bike Lane or controversy over cyclists getting tickets in Central Park, bike lanes have been the talk of the town lately in…
The Green Taxis Act of 2011 calls for changing the federal law to allow cities to set their own efficiency standards for taxi cabs.
New York City's Local Law 84 has the potential to transform how we understand our energy usage.
New York City's Mayor Michael Bloomberg just announced the launch of the Urban Technology Innovation Center which will help fast track sustainable building practices by connecting…
Yesterday, Mayor Michael Bloomberg laid out his vision for New York during the annual State of the City Address. He discussed the cost-cutting goals, economic growth, and the on-going…
MOST POPULAR RESTAURANTS
Browse by Keyword
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before
follow inhabitat on:
< previous next >
su m t w th f sa 01 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Featured Inhabitat Stories
- Tweets about "@inhabitat"