80% of the building materials were salvaged and reused, including the concrete, wood, steel, plastic, and glass. In addition to these, the remaining 20% of new materials were sourced either locally or from the region, keeping the building’s overall carbon footprint decidedly low. Existing wood trellis frames were disassembled, milled and repurposed as the ladder wall and building envelope.
Salvaged cottage decking was used to build both the interior floor and the rooftop observation deck, and 200 salvaged fluorescent light covers make up the exterior cladding, creating a lovely dappled light effect. Windows originally constructed in 1910 were also reused. New materials were really only employed for the post and beam construction. And when the nearby Red river floods? A handy canoe will allow access to the studio.
Via Arch Daily