- Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -

Oxbow Field Station is a Student-Made Box on Stilts Built from Reclaimed Materials

Posted By Tafline Laylin On April 5, 2011 @ 12:13 pm In Architecture,Sustainable Building | No Comments



Oxbow field station, Manitoba, students, Eduard Epp, sustainable design studio, reclaimed materials, salvaged materials, floodplain, artist colony, observation deck, sustainable architecture, green architecture, [5]

80% of the building materials [6] were salvaged and reused, including the concrete, wood, steel, plastic, and glass. In addition to these, the remaining 20% of new materials were sourced either locally or from the region, keeping the building’s overall carbon footprint [7] decidedly low. Existing wood trellis frames were disassembled, milled and repurposed as the ladder wall and building envelope.

Salvaged cottage decking was used to build both the interior floor and the rooftop observation deck, and 200 salvaged fluorescent light [8] covers make up the exterior cladding, creating a lovely dappled light effect. Windows originally constructed in 1910 were also reused. New materials were really only employed for the post and beam [9] construction. And when the nearby Red river floods? A handy canoe will allow access to the studio.

+ Eduard Epp [10]

Via Arch Daily [11]


Article printed from Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com

URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/oxbow-field-station-is-a-student-made-box-on-stilts-built-from-reclaimed-materials/

URLs in this post:

[1]

: http://inhabitat.com/oxbow-field-station-is-a-student-made-box-on-stilts-built-from-reclaimed-materials/new-37/?extend=1

[2]  : http://inhabitat.com/oxbow-field-station-is-a-student-made-box-on-stilts-built-from-reclaimed-materials/oxbow-2/?extend=1

[3] artist colony: http://organizedwisdom.com/houston-hive-is-a-sustainable-village-made-from-500-shipping-containers-inhabitat-green-design-will-save-the-world/3796957/nxi/med

[4] Built near a floodplain: http://inhabitat.com/inhabitat-interview-8-questions-with-architect-tom-kundig/rolling_huts_07/

[5] Image: http://inhabitat.com/oxbow-field-station-is-a-student-made-box-on-stilts-built-from-reclaimed-materials/oxbow-2/

[6] building materials: http://inhabitat.com/company-to-recycle-used-syringes-into-building-materials/

[7] carbon footprint: http://inhabitat.com/swedish-passive-home-could-cut-carbon-footprint-by-8x/

[8] fluorescent light: http://inhabitat.com/plumen-rethinking-the-fluorescent-bulb/

[9] post and beam: http://inhabitat.com/modernest-japanese-home-borrows-from-the-past-with-a-twist/

[10] + Eduard Epp: http://umanitoba.ca/faculties/architecture/facstaff/faclist/epp.html

[11] Arch Daily: http://www.archdaily.com/123877/oxbow-field-station-eduard-epp-university-of-manitoba-students/

Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.