When a cook at a school in northeastern India began to prepare a lunch of rice, beans, potato curry and soy balls, she claims to have noticed something wrong with the cooking oil. Reportedly she took her misgivings to the school’s head mistress, who instructed her to finish cooking and serve the food. Almost immediately after eating, many of the children were overcome by violent fits of diarrhea and vomiting, and at least 22 of them did not survive the terrible ordeal. Hit the jump to learn what parents did to protest the school’s tragic carelessness.

READ MORE >