- Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -
We Check Out Tiffany Threadgould’s New Book Remake It! And Share a Free DIY Crafting Tutorial
Posted By Yuka Yoneda On July 27, 2011 @ 11:50 pm In DIY,Innovation,Interviews,Recycled Materials | No Comments
We recently got our hands on a copy of Tiffany Threadgould ‘s new book, ReMake It! , which is filled with recycled DIY goodness including this clever picture frame made from a pair of eyeglasses. The book is chock full of ways to transform what you might consider junk into useful, inspiring and fun-to-make items. Tiffany was kind enough to share her instructions for the eyeglass picture frame with us – hit the jump to make a version of your own!
YOU WILL NEED:
an old pair of eyeglasses
a mini screwdriver
a blank scrap paper
15 inches of fishing line
1. Remove the arms of the eyeglasses with the mini screwdriver. A mini screwdriver can be found in an eyeglass repair kit.
2. Make a template to cut out your photos. On a piece of scrap paper, trace around one lens of the eyeglasses. Cut along the line you drew. Hold the template behind the glass lens to see if it fits properly. If not, trim it until it does. Sometimes you’ll need to cut off about 1/8-inch to 1/4-inch around the edge.
3. Use the template to cut out your photos. Trace around the template onto your photo, and cut it out. Because eyeglass lenses are the same shape and mirror images of each other, you don’t have to make a whole new template for the other lens. Just flip the template over, and use it to trace around and cut a photo to fit in the other eyeglass lens.
4. Use a small amount of clear tape to tape your photos to the back of the eyeglasses.
5. To make a hanging loop, thread the fishing line through each side of the glasses where the arms were once attached, and tie the ends into knots. Hang your eyeglass picture frame on your wall, and focus on your new creation!
+ ReMake It! 
Article printed from Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com
URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/remake-it-how-to-make-an-awesome-recycled-eyeglass-picture-frame/
URLs in this post:
 Tiffany Threadgould: http://www.replayground.com/pages/about/abouhome.asp
 ReMake It!: http://www.replayground.com/pages/book/remakeit.asp
 Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/ReMake-Recycling-Projects-Stuff-Usually/dp/1402771940/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297205356&sr=8-1
Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.