Tylene Levesque

S116: Brand New Solar-Powered Chinese Cell Phone

by , 06/13/07

S116, Hi-Tech Wealth Inc. Solar-Powered Cell Phone

Hi-Tech Wealth, Inc., a telecommunications supplier in China has unveiled the world’s first commercial solar-powered cellular phone. The S116 retails in China around $510 and is packed with features including a microSD memory card slot, MP3 player and a 1.3 megapixel camera. The phone’s battery lasts 2.5 times longer than a traditional battery and can be recharged outdoors, indoors, even by candle light! Just one hour of direct sunlight will provide enough juice to power 40 minutes of talk-time.

According to Xinhua News, Hi-Tech Wealth plans to put six solar-powered phones on the market this year and another 30 next year.

+ Via Xinhua News

1. GOMBO BAASANJAV July 7, 2011 at 10:22 pm

Dear sir,

I need price list of solar powered sell phone

2. Chuck April 14, 2008 at 4:39 am

Hi,All
    This phone is really solar charger,however the manufactuer did exaggerate the functions of it.

We can supply this phone at about $120.

Furthermore,we can supply or dropship anyone these Chinese brand cellphones through TNT,EMS or FEDEX.

For more information about dual sim phone,watch phone,windows phone.

You can visit http://www.cellphones-expor.com

Best regards!
    Chuck
    MSN: chuckjiangsir@hotmail.com
    Tel:86-0755-81197615
    Fax:86-0755-82865913

3. kt August 2, 2007 at 11:31 pm

this is the best thing china has come up with so far. i think its fantastic! I’m totally for everything that makes this earth greener and hey, why not start with the smallest most often used gadget – cell phone!!! ingenious, its about time someone thought of it!

4. Energy Saver August 1, 2007 at 7:56 pm

I can see why this has caused so much interest, however my main concern is will there be any benefits environmentally from using solar powered phones. Phones are often a dispensible product with people changing their phones about once a year, with very few being recycled, in the UK about 30%. Will the energy consumed in producing the solar panels and technology for the phone be less than that of the electricity consumption, I am not confident this would be the case especially if the phone is used for only a short period of time.

5. matt June 21, 2007 at 1:15 am

.. well, do you believe in chinese product ??

6. Siope Fakauho June 20, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Incredible….Well Done Chinese Inventor.You really help in promoting environmental issues and communication technologies.I can’t wait too long to have one.

7. Bertorama June 20, 2007 at 1:51 pm

It’s a nice idea – if it works. But another thing to point out – why is it important for it to be solar powered? How much money will I save by using a solar powered phone versus a battery powered phone? Since it costs next to nothing to charge a regular phone, I can’t see the benefit of using this. If it were a solar powered car, I could see the benefit, but at the end of the day this application seems to be a waste of time.

8. Aliyu Ahmed June 20, 2007 at 9:51 am

This is interesting. I would like to be among the first to sell this kind of phone in my country. Cos it ll make a good market

9. Sondra June 20, 2007 at 8:37 am

This is a great ideal but is it going to be water-resistant? When is it going to be available to everyone who wants one?

10. mahmoud ahmad abdlwahab June 20, 2007 at 6:46 am

Every thing at the begining needs to be tried

11. solar phone? « Br... June 20, 2007 at 6:21 am

[...] Inhabitat and Xinhua [...]

12. erica June 20, 2007 at 6:00 am

thats great. if the current 400 million cell phones in the world could be replaced with solar phones, it would decrease some of the environmental impact on the world. However, with hybrid cars becomming the new trend and with the US leading the way on such an issue, eventually, as they hope, everyone will be driving hybrid cars and carrying around solar powered cell phones, which sounds great in theory… but evetually our energy from the sun will run out. Sure its in a few billion years and we won’t be around when it happens, but it will affect the future generations.

Next thing you’ll know… solar powered homes, laptops, airplanes, ipods, and boats will become the new trend.

hey, Who knows, anything is a possibility. The keyboards our ancestors never imagined are the one’s you’re using today. And a keyboard is the least of it. How about this computer screen you’re using?

Anyway… hopefully all goes well with the new phone. I can imagine apple, Inc. trying to capatalize on this. Believe me, they will. And At&t will as well… they better, or they’ll be out of business. Who needs landlines if you’re gonna have a solar powered phone?

For all you who cannot afford it now, dont worry. Soon enough they’ll go into mass production and they’ll cost you $80

13. James Mramba June 20, 2007 at 5:53 am

Would you please send sample through to me so I can display and apparently will good and pleasing market over here!

14. Cool Goh June 20, 2007 at 5:46 am

Yes, I am waiting to buy them for my whole company….. yes quick quick quick… but it has got to be affordable…..please

15. Hsndrn June 20, 2007 at 5:44 am

Well, done Chinese inventors.
    Reminds of the invention of gun-powder.
    This time around it had better remain a Chinese invention and produced by China…
    Way to go guys, you can do better than that and better do it quick………
    I am waiting to buy my first one and 5 more for my family members………

16. leon June 20, 2007 at 5:37 am

I am from China, I engage in nokia mobile design, it is wonderful thing if i have one it

17. Jess June 20, 2007 at 5:29 am

Fantastic idea, I do not think the price tag is too outrageous if it does what it promises. Fantastic for people who are constantly on the run, or people who like to venture out in the wilds camping or whatnot, where recharging is essentially impossible. I am looking forward to seeing future models coming out and may even buy one myself.

18. sheikh June 20, 2007 at 5:17 am

I can’t wait to have one…….

19. nwnetfx » Blog Ar... June 19, 2007 at 12:34 am

[...] Inhabitat and Xinhua New and [...]

20. Luda June 18, 2007 at 3:37 pm

It makes sense even if it dies out on me when I forget to charge; a living thing will die if you forget to feed. Having forget to bring the charger would be the same hassle.
    It’s minimal in terms of having one less thing to carry with you.
    Just make sure the interface is simple and blue tooth friendly and it’s a 10 for me.

21. CJarchive.com » B... June 18, 2007 at 6:41 am

[...] Inhabitat and Xinhua [...]

22. The World’s First... June 17, 2007 at 3:11 am

[...] Inhabitat and Xinhua [...]

23. RAUL GARZA June 14, 2007 at 11:08 am

GOOD IDEA, THIS CHINESE PEOPLE ARE GAINING GROUND FAST AND WITH GOOD PRODUCTS. BUT TO ME IS KIND OF WEIRD, IT IS A CHINESE INOVATION OR… ANOTHER ORIENT-WEST INOVATION. ANY HOW IT IS FINE TO KNOW, SOME ONE OUT THERE IS MOVING IN THE WRIGT DIRECTION. LOOK COOL BUT IS QUITE EXPENSIVE, SO IS IT NOT FOR CHINA.

24. harshad June 14, 2007 at 6:53 am

hey hi ,
    i am harshad.ur product is incredible n revolutionary. people r going to say many things about this phone, but personally i feel this product has the capability to change our day-day interface with the use of energy, n dat to i much simplified form. every time when someone comes out with a inventory idea there many ups downs. go ahead with u ur goals ur doing great

25. Christian June 13, 2007 at 6:24 pm

I will be happy to learn to clip my phone to the outside of my clothes if I can get a model that is resistant to rain.

26. Mandibles June 13, 2007 at 6:18 pm

[...] It also has an MP3 player, a 1.3 megapixel camera and microSD memory card slot.  (via inhabitat) [...]

27. 点支蜡烛煲电话... June 13, 2007 at 6:13 pm

[...] 看看老外怎么说 世界第一部太阳能手机 [...]

28. Commercial Roofing June 13, 2007 at 11:41 am

What a brilliant idea. Me myself long before the first nokia model phones flooded the Philippines is thinking of solar powered phones. I thought I am the only person thinking of having it. It is surprising that the made it and a plus 2.5 times longer it will surpass the typical cellphone battery life.

Nick Simpson – Well if you keep your phone in the pocket then your obviously not using the phone yet people buy phone to use it, so it won’t get pale, it is sure to get enough sunlight during daylight. I just also remember when my classmate told me that charging is no sweat when the phone itself will charge as long as there is signal…

Commercial Roofing | Residential Roofing

29. Il primo cellulare ad e... June 13, 2007 at 11:02 am

[...] (Via) [...]

30. Nick Simpson June 13, 2007 at 6:53 am

Don’t get me wrong, I really love this idea, but… don’t most people keep their phones in their pockets? Either way though, if it extends battery times, reduces mains electricity use and even gives you a means of charging when you’ve forgotten your charger wire it’ll be worth it.

31. Christian June 13, 2007 at 6:07 am

If they can ruggedize this phone, they will corner the cell phone market in developing nations. A reasonably priced, water and shock resistant phone that can charge itself will become an indispensible tool for people who do not have access to more traditional telecom structure.

For that matter, I would love to have one of these myself, especially if it comes in quad-band. This is brilliant design.

32. Hun Boon June 13, 2007 at 5:51 am

I’ll be cautious about those claims, Chinese manufacturers have a well-deserved reputation for exaggerating their product benefits.