Organic Scapes and Architecture sent us these images of their entry into the 2012 Living Aleutian Home design competition.Their solar and wind-powered OS+A home is designed specifically to capture the prevailing winds and maximize views, and it has a double-skin that mimics the strength and structure of a lobster tail.
The 1,365 square foot design sits atop a concrete footing that is half that size. This has numerous functions for a project intended for the cold and icy north. First, it allows small integrated wind turbines to capture the wind that passes underneath, and it also reduces the amount of ice that accumulates under the building. This strategy also acts as an insulator by mitigating the home’s contact with the frozen earth.
In addition to the wind turbines, which would provide 33% of the home’s required energy, a photovoltaic film laminate comprises the entire second skin, providing the remaining 67% energy. All of the interior spaces have operable windows for natural ventilation and north and south glazing maximizes the winter sun. Finally, the lobster-like shell protects the home against the harsh natural environment and in-floor radiant heating keeps it warm.