- Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building - http://inhabitat.com -

Solar and Wind-Powered Living Aleutian Home Resembles a Lobster Tail

Posted By Tafline Laylin On July 18, 2012 @ 11:00 am In Architecture,biomimicry,carousel showcase,Daylighting,gallery | No Comments



green design, sustainable design, eco-design, OS+A, Living Aleutian Home, daylighting, wind power, solar power,

The 1,365 square foot design sits atop a concrete footing that is half that size. This has numerous functions for a project intended for the cold and icy north. First, it allows small integrated wind turbines [5] to capture the wind that passes underneath, and it also reduces the amount of ice that accumulates under the building. This strategy also acts as an insulator by mitigating the home’s contact with the frozen earth.

In addition to the wind turbines, which would provide 33% of the home’s required energy, a photovoltaic film laminate [6] comprises the entire second skin, providing the remaining 67% energy. All of the interior spaces have operable windows for natural ventilation and north and south glazing maximizes the winter sun. Finally, the lobster-like shell protects the home against the harsh natural environment and in-floor radiant heating keeps it warm.

+ Organic Scapes and Architecture [3]


Article printed from Inhabitat – Sustainable Design Innovation, Eco Architecture, Green Building: http://inhabitat.com

URL to article: http://inhabitat.com/solar-and-wind-powered-living-aleutian-home-shell-resembles-a-lobster-tail/

URLs in this post:

[1]

: http://inhabitat.com/solar-and-wind-powered-living-aleutian-home-shell-resembles-a-lobster-tail/living-aleutian-home-osa-1/?extend=1

[2]  : http://inhabitat.com/solar-and-wind-powered-living-aleutian-home-shell-resembles-a-lobster-tail/living-aleutian-home-osa-2/?extend=1

[3] Organic Scapes and Architecture: http://www.organic-scapes.com/

[4] a lobster tail: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lobster

[5] wind turbines: http://inhabitat.com/eole-waters-wind-turbine-generates-fresh-clean-drinking-water-from-condensation/

[6] photovoltaic film laminate: http://inhabitat.com/tag/thin-film-photovoltaics/

Copyright © 2011 Inhabitat Local - New York. All rights reserved.