Quantcast

chopstick flip flops, chop flops, recycled flip-flops, green design, eco design, sustainable design, spring greening contest, recycled design, reclaimed design, reclaiming design, recycled art

Joseph Palmer’s ingenious Chop-Flops are flip-flops made from reused materials. The surface where the foot meets the sandal is made of used chopsticks that were collected from the dumpster of a local Japanese restaurant. Dental floss was collected to lash the chopsticks together, as well as sew them to the sole. The sole is made of cork that was cut from an old pin-up board I had in my room. The leather straps and adjusters were taken from an old Jansport bag I had lying around.

15 Responses to “Chop-Flops Made From Recycled Chopsticks”

1. lesliem says:

“Dental floss was collected”???? GROSS!

2. carolynr12 says:

what I love about these chop-flops is that they are not only good design, and probably like having a foot massage, they seem effortless even though they were probably quite a task to assemble. Bravo!

3. I know!!! Right, lesliem?! It is kinda gross! BUT I think it’s brilliant, wonderfully resourceful, and creative. This is truly upcycling. I love it. KUDOS, Joseph!

4. vultic says:

This one is pretty unique! Gets my vote. It’s one of the only ones that will get folks out of the house instead of being used inside turning on lights. I do hope the designed boils the chopsticks after he picks them out of the dumpster LOL. Somthing to wear to protect my feet and help me exercise seems more enviro friendly than turning on a light. Don’t get me wrong there is a lot of creativity on display here. Just like this one a bit more given the criteria

5. vultic says:

This one gets my vote!

6. Bobsgirl says:

Ok… How comfortable are they? I also wonder if they will last a day of walking around. Otherwise great idea.

7. vpgirl says:

I think they would last given cork sole (I have some shoes that have cork soles) and the strength of dental floss. The movement seems like it would ‘massage’ the feet abit and they aren’t bad looking so I’m voting for these. Some of the light fixtures are gorgeous – it’s just this one seems to be different and broader in covering the theme of the contest. (I do hope he boiled the floss as well as the chopsticks though – otherwise is pretty gross :)

8. neochi says:

hahaha, thank you for all of you great comments! to address some concerns people are bringing up, I did boil both the chopsticks and the dental floss before using them as materials. they are surprisingly comfortable despite the flat look, as the natural roundness of the chopsticks create a therapeutic experience for your feet as you walk. And durability is not an issue because I have worn them nearly everyday since i made them (may 1st) and only slight wear on the cork underside has occurred. Dental floss is magnificently strong!!! especially when you used as much as i did (about 3/4 of a month worth of flossing, hahahaha). thanks again for ever ones comments and interest in my design, I really appreciate any sort of feedback I can get :)

9. territhrush says:

Definitely gets my vote! This design not only is green, takes you outside of your home, its useful, and it things do get difficult, just think of what you can do with anything that is lying around and how useful and protective it can be on us! I hope the designer did go through the process of disinfecting though! :) Great job!

10. vultic says:

I am a real fan of this design as well and as I have stated before I voted for it. Some, like the video tape dress, and maybe the map puzzle, allow you to leave the confines of a house or abode. These Chop-flops are definitely mobile, wearable and promote physical activity. All the lights, and you have to admit it was a common theme, use power (to varying degrees I grant you) after they are manufactured. Now I know that my distinctions were not criteria for becoming a finalist but they are my personal criteria used to determine which of these I would consider environmentally friendly. Now given the huge chasm in the votes between two lamps and to a lesser degree the spice rack, even with the contest extension it will be difficult for most entries to catch up. However, I would recommend that if you want some meaningful votes (not just friends to artificially raise your tally so you can beat a number in a leaf) log into some product design forums and let them know about this contest. Hopefully those dedicated practitioners (like you) will take a look and add their experience to the mix, vote and maybe leave some words of support or critique behind. $250 inhabitat bucks is one thing but learning from mentors & peers – priceless – Peace

11. 1000styles says:

Awesome. They’re probably wicked comfortable. Got my vote.

12. vultic says:

SOrry , left out the CD case jewelry – that is wearable too. Its also a pretty good idea

13. Amarie says:

I think this one has the most useful application and could easily be used to help people in need of basic necessities anywhere in the world. Just think of the possibilities if you collected chopsticks from even one major city that’s a lot of Asian food restaurants. And of course they look super cool too! I would were them!

14. nsnova says: