Quantcast

sustainable design, green design, spring greening 2010, inhabitat green design competition, recycled materials, diy design, repurposed materials, national geographic shelf, nidhi gupta, film roll lamp

Nidhi Gupta‘s beautiful film roll lamp is made from spools of old film that are strung together and assembled into a circular shape. We love how the successive series of stills creates a shifting pattern as forgotten scenes weave a new narrative about sustainable design.

+ Nidhi Gupta

19 Responses to “Film Roll Lamp”

1. Sakshi Babbar says:

i love this lamp.the best part is its yet so beautiful ,although made from waste.well done you!! All the very best!!

2. pulkit agarwal says:

d lamp kindda redefines the phrase \”Go Green\”..film roll is somethin which is inevitably discarded not just as waste but absolute junk..using it so beutifully! hats off too you !

3. vultic says:

Yes, repurposing of film is environmentally conscious, I give you that. man, this entry has gotten someones attention for sure! Over 600 votes in a day that is awesome.

4. jagdish says:

Its very imaging work .

5. Nidhi Gupta says:

850 votes… Oh my God.. Thanks to all my friends, family members and supporters to help me achieve this value. Wish me all the luck !!
    Facebook rocks !!

6. parasag says:

Great contemplation….nice and audacious material, compounded smartly….
    Good Job…!!

7. vultic says:

Wow! Just amazing the sustained interest and voting tempo for this entry. I am awe struck at the following it has garnered. I mean I haven’t cast my vote for this one but obviously there are quite a few out there who like what they see. I just wish it were a bit more unique and the construction was more tidy that would at least make me what to look a little closer. For now I am just amazed at the number of votes that it has amassed. I can’t say I like it very much or that I would want one for my home but lots of voters seem to disagree with me.

8. jasonschw says:

The use of film rolls is an inetresting thing BUT there is NO design development.

9. janhar says:

This looks brilliant. This so creative and yet cost effective i guess.

10. Nidhi Gupta says:

There is lot more to what is seen in this lamp. Its the IDEA that makes it worth. Not very complicated, took me just one day to make it ( Do it Yourself )but the thought of making a lamp from discarded film rolls in this shape and pattern gives a great satisfaction to my conscience.

11. vultic says:

Nidhi, there is no need to try and defend your IDEA. Ideas are part of the design process and they drive development. The lamp simply IS what it IS and apparently from the voting lots and lots of individual persons, each voting on the “design” merits (one must agree that the majority of the voters have little design experience) or support and friendship, have seen what you have made and cast a vote for your IDEA. I personally don’t have any old film rolls lying around my house or large plexiglass cylinders to attach the film to either. I do have plenty of lights so I didn’t feel like another one would help my environmental footprint.

12. Nidhi Gupta says:

@ Vultic: My intensions was never to defend. It was just my personal expression… as like everyone else, the collection is close to my heart. :) I am a recent graduate, it feels great to see my work along with other twenty most inspirational ideas developed and projected in this contest. Hats off to them !!
    Moreover, I agree with your words that majority of the voters might have little design knowledge and voted me based on many reasons.
    I aplogise if ever my words sounded rude or disrespectful.
    Thanks for your feedback.
    Cheers !!

13. niccolom says:

Hmmm… Looks like the first book I would recommend that such avid voters read along side this lamp might be “The Prince”. It is near and dear to my heart and apparently to some hear as well.

14. macrumpton says:

I made a bunch of these in 1984 out of discarded 35mm motion picture footage. Mine were sewn together in a spiral cylinder using a sewing machine, and I used 3 dowels wired to the cylinder for legs. I also made some similar ones out of strips of watercolor paintings that I was throwing away.

15. Nidhi Gupta says:

Fingers Crossed !!

16. Anu Soni says:

Wow,its really interesting……..something new….keep up the hard work..love it.

17. balu menon says:

beauitful design

18. balu menon says:

Love the concept – the projected stills would be a delight to watch