If you recently made the switch to energy-efficient CFL light bulbs, here’s a brilliant way to reuse all of those old incandescents. Designed by Natalia Hojman and Angeles Estrada Vigil, the Potus Pot transforms a burnt-out light bulb into a bud-growing vase. Each beautiful recycled planter comes complete with a simple OSB base and packaging reused from the original light bulb….
Loto is an organically inspired lamp series by Eugenio Menjivar that takes its characteristics from lotus flowers. Like immaculate lotus flowers that grow within muddy swamps, Loto lamps are born from oceans of plastic debris. The Loto series is an eco-experimental body of work that transforms discarded household materials into precious objects, allowing plastic to be reborn to educate consumers about …
Mauricio Affonso‘s intricate spherical pendant lamp is made from hundreds of discarded aluminum pull-tabs. Dubbed POP, the 15″ light creates a stunning visual effect and is constructed with exceptional craftsmanship. While working on the design Affonso was inspired by the idea of turning a disposable material …
Joseph Palmer’s ingenious Chop-Flops are flip-flops made from reused materials. The surface where the foot meets the sandal is made of used chopsticks that were collected from the dumpster of a local Japanese restaurant. Dental floss was collected to lash the chopsticks together, as well as sew them to the sole. …
This colorful shelf is made entirely from recycled National Geographic magazines. It was designed by Sean Miller, who was inspired by the stacks of old magazines cluttering his living room. First Sean coated the magazines with a a water/starch mixture and then he placed them under pressure for about a week …
Architect and grandfather Ron Aarons makes these awesome tinker toy-inspired constructions from recycled tennis balls and water bottles! The water bottles are glued together at the bottom and the ends are attached to a tennis ball after bottle caps are securely attached with drywall mollys allowing for easy assembly and dis-assembly of the …
Lenka Stara made this charming stool out of the ends of the paper rolls that protect your printed materials on the way home from the printer. “They are so robust that it seemed a shame not to use the quality and build something beautiful and practical from them,” she says of her design. They are absolutely fine to sit on and the seating part even lifts up to access practical storage.
Sarah Turner turns various plastic soda bottles into these intricate lamps. The bottles are collected from local cafes and households, and after a good cleaning, are sandblasted to make them opaque. Then some clever cutting transforms them into decorative forms perfect for lighting. It’s hard to believe that these lights were once plain old …
Loreta Haaker’s ingenious Cone Light is composed of 6 re-used orange traffic cones pieced together into a luminous star. Perfect for hanging or for setting on the floor, this traffic-stopping lamp adds a bit of funky urban charm to any interior environment.
Made from a collection of vintage objects, this rolling robot pops his lid to feed the troops. His head is made from an old aluminum bun warmer, and his body is an old tin canister. Each eye is crafted from an old license plate bolt cover, and he sits on casters for mobility. To top it all off, his arms and hands …
Hoping to find a new solution to the problem of light bulb waste, Annisa Fardan Nabila and Aulia Amanda Santoso created their ingenious RECYCLAMP SERIES of spice containers, salt and pepper shakers, and mini vases – all made out of old bulbs!
The “Tusht” chair by Bassem Shaaban is a part of the “Wasteful Living” collection. While discussing the topic of wasteful living with a few colleagues he brought up the idea of making reclaimed furniture by region. He limited the distance he would travel to find the pieces to see how much harder it would be. The “Tusht” is completely reclaimed and recycled …
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before