Alin Tocmacov was about to throw away the packaging from his MacBook, when he realized that he could turn the beautifully patterned styrofoam packaging in to the perfect book cover for his portfolio. He then cut the recycled packaging to fit the back of the …
Is this lamp really made of dirty old t-shirts laminated with collected plastic bags? YES! These lamps are a result of a co-design project between Katryna Carter and a group of teens affiliated with a Rhode Island-based after-school program, Riverzedge. Riverzedge is an after-school …
Vivian Alderete Moreno took the following steps to make her adorable piggy banks out of old sweaters:
1. Manipulate and inflate a balloon to the desired shape
2. Shape and harden with paste made from flour and water and newspaper as the typical mexican piñata
3. Finally decorate it with unwoven old sweater threads
A ruffled rose pillow made from an old too-tight bottom half of a bridesmaid dress!
These speakers are made from old coffee cans! The designer has used them as computer speakers, surround sound on his video game system, and even behind the seat of his old truck.
Ben Light made this wine bottle lamp by cutting off both ends of a wine bottle and then transforming an old tube of glass into the lamp’s shade. The pieces of a wooden pallet Ben found on 89th St. make up the base and cap, and the lamp socket comes from an old floor lamp that was also found among trash on the same street. Ben says “White wine gives more light, but maybe I’ll try red for a little more …
It’s amazing what 16 years in the dusty basement can do for an old set of blinds! These are made from aluminum mini blinds that came with the house when I moved in. Voila, let there be light.
After cleaning out her closet, Cynthia Soderlund divided the clothes into those she could give away and those that were too worn out be wearable, but it seemed a shame to throw out all that perfectly good material! So, she started making bags from it. Since she is a dog groomer, she called them Doggy Bags. Cynthia makes boat bags and uses rope scraps from the local marina and uses chewed through collars and leashes to make the …
“On Top of News” is a cheeky chair made out of newspapers and an old chair. Designed by …
The Dreamswing Hammock incorporates retired and/or “prime hanks” (end-of-spool lengths that are less than 50 meters) of climbing ropes, recyclable aluminum tubing for the staves, 2.5” seat belt webbing from suitable junked vehicles as perimeter gillies and salvaged sections of discarded foam pool noodle floaties for the head rest, as well as discarded toy balls to protect the ends of the cross-member staves.
The bed can stitched from a variety of available eco-friendly materials of recycled content. It …
The ReCycle Collection is 100% made out of second hand clothes and textiles (the name comes from the process of recycling and the Inspiration of bicycles). In an experimental draping process, I found the perfect shape for every single piece of secondhand garments.
In the first picture you see a former coat, two shirts and an old man’s pants which I turned into new styles. The catsuit in the second picture is made out …
Two wrongs do make a right. It was a sad day when Sarah Myers’ drafting lamp from childhood broke and no longer functioned as it was intended. It was another sad day when her tripod similarly failed to fill its original function. She couldn’t stomach the thought of just mindlessly discarding these two, at one time, great items so she decided to make …
The Huggable lamp is made from a 2-piece angel cake pan and off-white shag carpet left behind from a room renovation. It was constructed by turning the pan upside down and placing the removable base on top of it to create the backbone of the pendant. After taping pieces of trimmed shag …
This light fixture was created from an old rear cassette off of a commuter bike, an old cell phone charger and a couple of LEDs. Simple and functional, brings new use to an old worn out bike part.
This adorable Wall-E was made by Davide Marin for a child obsessed with the Disney character using materials found around his home! Marin decided to make it one lazy morning using things that were going into the trash like old boxes, parts of plastic bottles, old film and scraps of cardboard.
This project investigates ways to reduce waste through the reuse of a hard to recycle object — the upright piano. This piano was found on craigslist.com described as “must go or will be forced to throw away.” Upon receiving the piano and investigating its components, it was found that the piano was beyond affordable repair. What followed …
Thinking that using used milk bottles to make light fixtures was no longer a novelty, See Hwa Goh decided to give her design a new twist, using its inherent shape for a completely different outlook with small additions. She added fins (hand-weaved with cable ties) to her milk bottle to achieve a bomb-dropping effect when the lamp hangs from the ceiling.
The Axis toothbrush is a smarter way to brush your teeth. Made almost entirely from recycled and re-usable components, it stores and dispenses toothpaste from a re-used gluestick held within the recycled alluminium brush handle. The bristles are also detachable giving them a new lease on life and turning them into household …
This light shade is made from discarded milk cartons, using minimal materials and avoiding adhesives altogether. By creating an interlocking system, this pendant is a beautiful reinvention of common household waste that is both sustainable and stylish.
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before