This light fixture was created from an old rear cassette off of a commuter bike, an old cell phone charger and a couple of LEDs. Simple and functional, brings new use to an old worn out bike part.
This adorable Wall-E was made by Davide Marin for a child obsessed with the Disney character using materials found around his home! Marin decided to make it one lazy morning using things that were going into the trash like old boxes, parts of plastic bottles, old film and scraps of cardboard.
This project investigates ways to reduce waste through the reuse of a hard to recycle object — the upright piano. This piano was found on craigslist.com described as “must go or will be forced to throw away.” Upon receiving the piano and investigating its components, it was found that the piano was beyond affordable repair. What followed …
Arizona State University students in Professor Deborah Schneiderman’s Senior Design Studio were asked a series of questions about what purposes a wall truly serves. What does a wall provide? What passes through? What is obstructed? How can one create a …
Moisi is a new and fresh contemporary jewelry brand. this is the first colection. With this jewelry, I hope to bring back to life dusty dehydrated mini rosa flowers, leafs, petals, fruits, home decoration perfumed dehydrated plants that lost their scent long time ago, date tree seeds, plum seeds, soya beans, and so on.
By enclosing this vegetal lifeless elements with handmade crochet, I wanted to give the jewelry a romantic look. Their eco approache gives hope and a …
Eleanor Young found this sad looking worn out chair in the street, took it home, cleaned up the frame, sprayed painted it and set to work on making a new cover. The new design retains the character of the chair, bringing it to life with bold patchwork upholstery, using …
Inspired by Pop Artists and recently by Trash Artists, ReCycle by Ossy does its share to bring public awareness to environmental issues through design and art using a self-developed bottle cap weaving technique. Local restaurants collect and supply the studio with otherwise non-recyclable bottle caps on …
Old tea sets are beautiful but it seems a shame for them to sit and gather dust in the back of your cupboard. Claire Potter takes her teacups and cleverly converts them into little bird feeders, threaded through the garden at different heights like …
These lamps are made with envelopes that are used like molds for muffins. The circular pieces with the doubled edges and waves create interesting organic forms.
These bracelets are made from springs inside the clips on broken skirt hangers. Four springs wired together creates a single pin-wheel unit, and each bracelet has five or six of those units. The designer glued a silver bead at the end of the springs for safety and visual interest.
Life jackets and other flotation devices save lives but are not cheap enough for mass distribution in India. This life jacket is made out of four discarded 2 liter PET bottles. They make perfect buoys due to their air tightness and strength. The bottles are held together by a …
This side table by Terry Hritz was inspired by the night her father died of a heart attack when she was 7 while she was working on a puzzle. The legs and aprons are made of actual puzzle pieces with additional parts and the table top fabricated from recycled cardboard.
Can you believe this bar was built in just 24 hours out of all scrap materials? Friends Charles Constantine and Chris Williams took to the streets and grabbed anything they could get their hands on – two end tables make up the main element and are clad in palette wood, while the top and side of the bar are 1/4” plate that they cut from some junked structural beams and cleaned up.
As far as the aesthetic, Chris …
Lynn Howard and her husband made this glass coffee table using a discarded Austen Healey engine as a base. The toughened sheet of glass cantilevers between the two sections of the red-painted engine.
There are tons of glass bottles thrown away or recycled everyday, and Erin Yoakum has found a way to give some of these discarded containers new life. His salt and pepper shakers – also know as ‘shake’ – use the base and the mouth of reclaimed bottles (the hardest parts to crush when recycling) to make these cool kitchen tools. Only two bottles are used in the creation of each salt and pepper shaker set, and …
Frankie Dailey repurposes blown out bike tires into cute sculptures like this doggy, tree and rubber duckie!
A jewelry collection so big it’s ridiculous! These statement pieces, designed by Sallvann Caorn from SBiR Wood, use non-traditional materials and processes to be big, bold and to challenge the definition of jewelry. This collection of unique jewelry layers a combination of various scrap woods and metals that have been donated from …
- The Opening of the Highline Urban Park Video The Opening of the HIghline Urban Park
- Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs Video Inhabitat Green Tour of BKLYN Designs
- Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show Video Project Earth Day Eco Fashion Show
- Project Earth Day Fashion Competition Video Project Earth Day Fashion Competition
- Portable Green Energy Video Portable Green Energy
- Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child Video Mary Lou Jepsen on One Laptop Per Child
- Enviro-artist Chris Jordan Video Enviro-artist Chris Jordan
- Chris Jordan Interview Video Chris Jordan Interview
- Greener Gadgets Design Competition Winners Video GGC Design Competition
- Greener Gadgets Introduction Video Greener Gadgets Intro
- Grow A Living Treehouse Video Grow A Living Treehouse
- New Mklotus Prefab Video New Mklotus Prefab
- Sustainable Design Panel Video Sustainable Design Panel
- Green Building & Remodeling For Dummies
- Design Like You Give a Damn: Architectural Responses to Humanitarian Crises
- The Green House: New Directions in Sustainable Architecture
- Cradle to Cradle: Remaking the Way We Make Things
- Green Roofs: Ecological Design And Construction
- ecoDesign: The Sourcebook
- Prefab Prototypes: Site-Specific Design for Offsite Construction
- Planet Earth: As You've Never Seen It Before